Mystery Solved: Overheats have consequences... 1987 Force 85 H.P.

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
For anyones that's interested, I solved the mystery pre-water this year on the blockage issue in my water exhaust ports I posted about last year; I would have preferred to update that post, but I can't see to find it. Last spring, I could see and feel some blockage in my ports, but had a pretty good spit from both sides, so I ran it all year with no apparent problems. I slated to resolve the mystery this spring, and with our poor weather keeping us with any real desire to be on the water yet, I delved in. Removing the boot cause a plastic sealer ring to fall out from the aft side of the boot, and the villian seems to have been the overheat the previous owner told me of, when detailing much of the rebuild he did, that likely makes this motor still run so well. He likely never noticed this: the water must have gotten hot enough at the overheat to melt some of the plastic ring right into the port holes, partly blocking them. See photos. Of course, maybe we should all check for these who have port-only water exhausts, since the other possibility is that this just happens slowly over time. The part is not easy to identify, and didn't appear on one blow-up diagram I looked at last year, though I need to refind that- but, If anyone has part source suggestions for this kind of thing it would be appreciated. For the time being, I sawed off the melted extrusions from the ring, and reinstalled; My only problem now is that it doesn't seem to seat properly, and a small portion of exhaust water leaks from below the boot. I may try to run for a bit like this, I don't believe a bit of water rising in the housing can hurt anything, it does slowly drain directly out. Just thought I'd post for anyone who wants to add this to their check-lists, its an easily overlooked thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20210531_130913596_HDR(1).jpg
    IMG_20210531_130913596_HDR(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210531_130926933_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210531_130926933_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210531_130932523_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210531_130932523_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
There is a spring that pushes the shaped plastic piece against the inside of the boot to seal it against the exit port. The plastic piece is shaped like the inside of the rubber boot. That's probably why you are seeing it leak. From the pictures it looks like the "shaped" portion of the plastic piece is melted.

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, Admiral, that's helpful about the spring, which is long gone, of course... It must have held as long as it wasnt moved, but I think all in all its good to have unblocked the obstruction. In any case, I think I have no hope to find a replacement for that ring, so I think I'll have to just work with some Loctite RTV to seal it up at the leaky areas. Thanks again and wish me luck!

Nordin

Commander
In think you can find the insert and the spring at Franz Marine or Ebay.
At Ebay you might have to buy the whole rubber boot with insert and spring complete.
It is important that you do not get any leakage from the boot, it has to seal at both ends.
If not you get exhaust under the cowl and the engine will run very poor, especially at idle.

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Wow! Thanks again Jerry and Nordin, I can't believe how you guys find these things.. I thought I was pretty good at finding household stuff on ebay, but then I got a boat..! lol, thanks again!

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Jerry, LOL, well, I sure owe ya a tall one next time I'm in FLA. I arrived and its in perfects shape, too. No spring, though so Ill make use of some RTV Blue gasket maker to seal it up and make sure its stays in place. Thanks again!!

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Update, for SurfsalterPath, and anyone else following.
I replaced the plastic 'insert' that Jerry helped me find, but the spring is elusive. No sign of the original inside there. So, I created a nice gasket type seal with Permatex high temp, and let it dry fully. At startup, its was still leaking a small amount into the lower cowl. This connection seems very particular and finicky- It seems it must need the spring to stay firmly in place. Yesterday we went into the bay planning on fishing with the elecric troller, mostly, to run a trial. Once the Force was running at lower troll herself, we checked repeatedly and the water dissappeared from the bottom, and never returned, and so we gradually cranked her up and tooled around the bay just fine. This was worth doing, even though it never seems to have caused a problem itself: my outlet streams are much stronger now with the ports unobstructed. It was probably only 70-80 percent open last year. I'm going to get the spring in though, so I can get to a point where I dont have to be checking for water all the time. Thanks to everyone again for the help.

Last edited:

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, Jerry, yeah I think I am going to have to put it in after all for peace of mind, even though it seems OK for the moment... I'd love to have a tutorial done by you guys sometime to show us how you find part #'s for smaller items- the spring was on the one leg chart I had, but no number, only for the boot. Thanks again!

puffitu

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, Jerry, yeah I think I am going to have to put it in after all for peace of mind, even though it seems OK for the moment... I'd love to have a tutorial done by you guys sometime to show us how you find part #'s for smaller items- the spring was on the one leg chart I had, but no number, only for the boot. Thanks again!
Just pm’d you…