Mystery Problem

Jtgator

Cadet
Just bought a used a 2005 50 hp 2 stroke Merc on a 20 ft pontoon. The engine will not rev past 4000k RPM at WOT. Max WOT should be closer to 5 to 55k. Taken to 2 diff mechanics and cannot figure out problem. No water in ntoons,,firing on all cyls, correct prop, engine runs great just will not get up to speed....Only thing I have had done prior was reseal lower unit. Any ideas ??? This is a real head scratcher since it runs perfect except for low RPM at WOT. Its at Marine Max now and cant figure it out either.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Did you actually run in tge correct rpm range before the re-seal? Or has it been this way since ya bought it. Is there to much pitch to the prop? It may have preformed fine on a boat,but on a toon the setup is different. I swapped out a motor from a different boat,it preformed perfectly on its old setup. But once on my boat it had to be re-propped from 17 to a 15 to get tge proper rpm's.

Jtgator

Cadet
I bought boat without water test. I did not try it out because it had water in lower unit. Dont know how it ran before re seal. Mechanic says prop should be O.K, I think its a 10 " I don't know the pitch.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Do you know if the tach ever read correctly? Look on the back of it and make sure it is set at 6P.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
1) either propped wrong 2) tach reading wrong 3)gearcase swapped out and wrong ratio