Mystery oil leak?

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
This motor is indoors. I have noticed a small amount of (oil?) showing up in the same place. I wipe it off and it reappears. What is the origin? do I need to fix it? or is it just an old motor thing... Thanks, Tom. It is a 1957 35hp Lark

Attachments

• Oil leak 1.JPG
    Oil leak 1.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Oil leak 2.JPG
    Oil leak 2.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

Re: Mystery oil leak?

If it's black, it is most likely unburned exhaust residue.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Blackish brown, oily... does not smell like gas... No action needed?

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class

where are you storing it> If it is cold i wonder if the oil is expanding and pushing itself out of a bad seal......Not sure if oil can do that but wondering myself

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The joint you are pointing to in the second picture looks like the joint between the leg and the gearcase. There almost certainly wont be any kind of gasket or sealing there so a bit of unburnt/ partly burnt oil from the exhaust leaking there would not be abnormal on standing.
You run a '57 model on a pretty oily mix, 20:1 it should be according to Evinrude.com so you are more likely to see oil than from a modern engine running on 50:1. I expect you also fogged before storing, so even more oil from that!

If its dirty and only a thin oil that's it. No problem.

If it is obviously gear box oil then you have a problem with a seal but the level is not that high is it? Cant see where the level plug is in your pictures

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely not gearcase oil... I am feeling that your original diagnosis is correct..."unburnt exhaust oil". Come spring, I am going to clean this well and paint it. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for all your advice.

Tom

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The exhaust pipe is what's inside there. Anything that comes out that seam was destined to go out the exhaust anyway. It's the oil that you put in the gas. It all goes through the engine one way or another, and out the exhaust. Not to lose sleep over.