Mystery leak... merc 650

jbjennings

Captain
Finally got the old '73 merc 650 purring. Using the advice on the forum, the engine is properly tuned and timed, and the carbs don't leak too badly when tilting the engine moderately. HOWEVER, the carbs do tend to leak about 10 drops apiece when the engine is turned off---after about 10-30 seconds passes. I think it may be getting better about it.
ONe person posted the cause of this according to the manual was possible reed valve malfunction. THat is my question: HOW! I can see fuel spurting out of the carbs when the engine was running, but not how they could do it when the engine is not turning. Does anyone have any clues about this. I did notice a little surface corrosion on some of the reed blocks on the crank, but nothing I thought was worth fixing. (obviously, I could be mistaken). The motor idles good, accelerates good, and runs WOT great--no missing and great power. COuld I have a reed problem and could someone explain the concept to me how bad reeds could result in leakage out the carb throat after the engine is off? THe leakage DOES appear to be coming from the engine through the throat nad not out the brass orifices. Either way, it runs great and the leakage is not great enough to worry about AFAIK. BTW, I did check the fuel pump diaphragm, and it doesn't appear to be bad at all. ALmost new looking and I did do my best to check for pinhole leaks. The motor never floods and is easy as pie to start even when cold.
thanks,
JBJ

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mystery leak... merc 650

Only if it's a magic motor. No way will reeds cause fuel to leak out of the carbs on a stopped motor. Are you saying the drips happen with the motor tilted all the way up after shut off?

jbjennings

Captain

No, the motor was tilted all the way down, with carbs level. About 10-30 seconds after turning the motor off, both carbs would get a little flow out of the carb throat which would result in quite a few drops of fuel coming out of each. After several drops of fuel came out (probably at least 10-20 drops apiece) the carbs would stop dripping and be fine until I restarted the motor, then the process would start all over again. I have dropped the float level down as far as I can. The arms on the needle aren't level, but down so that the floats are turning off the fuel sooner. New needles and seats. I can't figure out why it's doing it.
JBJ

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Something to try - After you shut off the motor, disconnect the fuel line. This to eliminate a pressurized tank from heat. Although I don't know if the weather is still hot/warm in LA or if your tank is in the sun. Can't hurt to try.