Mystery hose on Mercruiser 5.0 turns out to be AWESOME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Needed to replace one of my twin 1988 5.0 XL Mercruisers last year. Was not an easy task finding a replacement motor unless i wanted to spend $20k on a brand new motor.
Got extremely lucky and found a excellent 2003 305 Vortec motor.There is a smaller hose
with a small brass fitting on the end laying in the bilge and ending up near the power steering pump.Found out today while winterizing the motors,that the hose is connected to the oil pan and is my new easy way for an oil change.Oil change was a breeze and got every drop of old oil out.Love it!!! What a great surprise !!!! No more dip stick oil changes........at least on my new to me stbd motor.Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for about $20 you can add the same hose to your port motor

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. I have this on mine too. Used it once. It’s meant to pull out the drain plug on the hull. What a bloody pain to mess about with and ended up taking out the same amount as I do with the vacuum pump out the dip stick. Just my thoughts on it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I warm the motor up on muffs, drop the hose thru the garboard plug. Then let all 8 qts drail while I change the filters, drink a beer or three

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I warm the motor up on muffs, drop the hose thru the garboard plug. Then let all 8 qts drail while I change the filters, drink a beer or three
I dont think I can get to the drainplug from inside without help from a jockey.
I just assumed since the hose was ziptied up near the ps pump that it should be done with my "Topside" oil changer.The topsider hose kinds fit in the fitting on the hose end with a little duct tape.Worked great and got every drop out.When done I poured in 1/2 quart of fresh oil to see if I got it all and thats exactly what came out when I drained it,fresh oil. Charlie

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I dont think I can get to the drainplug from inside without help from a jockey.
I just assumed since the hose was ziptied up near the ps pump that it should be done with my "Topside" oil changer.The topsider hose kinds fit in the fitting on the hose end with a little duct tape.Worked great and got every drop out.When done I poured in 1/2 quart of fresh oil to see if I got it all and thats exactly what came out when I drained it,fresh oil. Charlie
My searay had a swivel snap connecting the drain plug to the end of the hose. never lost the plug (may have forgotten to install once or twice) and simply pulled the hose out.

my Rogue has a keel drain that I use.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
My searay had a swivel snap connecting the drain plug to the end of the hose. never lost the plug (may have forgotten to install once or twice) and simply pulled the hose out.

my Rogue has a keel drain that I use.
My best setup was on a 255 Regal that i owned years ago.Very big
25 ft boat.Single v8 engine .Huge engine compartment.I installed an electric oil change pump on the inside transom a 2 hose system..1 Hose went to fitting that replaced the oil plug on oil pan.A 2nd hose got placed into an empty cont.Both hoses connect to the pump.Press a button for approx a minute and a half and warmed oil is removed or approx 3 minutes of holding button down for cold oil.Was a wonderful breeze!! Oh and there was a reverse button which then filled the fresh oil through the oil pan.5 minute oil change .Only enough time for 1 brewski. Charlie

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I still use the Topsider and while I’ve thought about installing the drain hose it’s only been a thought for the same reason….I think with the rear seats & bulkheads all out I could get to it….
BTW the hose on the Topsider gets stiff with age if you replace them and use the garden hose attachment they actually can work quite well…

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
BTW the hose on the Topsider gets stiff with age if you replace them and use the garden hose attachment they actually can work quite well…
The stiffness of my topsider hose actually is preferred as it performs better that way.When the hose was newer and softer,it would actually collapse from the strong vacuum/hot oil combo. Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.