My "other" money pit

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Here are a few pictures of my winter project. This is where my money goes when I am not working on the boat.<br />I haven't had time to post new pics for several months, it looks a lot better these days. Getting holes patched and starting to paint here and there. cardomain

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: My "other" money pit

Brings back alot of memory's,first car I owned was a 69 conv.cougar.<br />Looks like she'll keep ya busy!

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck on the project... I just finished my 68 Torino last year. Man, I thought I would never get done, besides all the money I spent.

KaGee

Admiral

Where did you find that? Somebodys front yard in West Virginia??? :p

Kenneth Brown

Captain

DD- Do you race stock cars also? We are the only ones I ever see with a tire rack and was wondering.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Quite an undertaking, deputydawg. I did that with my 65 'Stang, but it was in a little better shape, to start. I hope you remember where all the pieces go. :eek: <br /><br />I hope you're using my 'baggie' method for keeping groups of parts together. <br /><br />Good luck and keep posting pics.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Been saving formula cans and baby food jars for years for this project.<br />Actually this will be the third and the most involved restoration job I have done. Figguring on at least 5 years. At least waiting until wife gets a job and supports me.<br />Yes I do race stock cars. Have raced IMCA Sportsman class, bomber class, raced NASCAR hobby stock class and late model.<br />Been thinking of getting into Cruiser class for fun. That is where we have 2 in a car, circle dirt track, driver runs the gas and steers while passenger runs the brakes. <br />I have a lot done to the car already, will post pictures again as soon as I remember my Cardomain password :rolleyes:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> Been saving formula cans and baby food jars for years for this project.
Don't let go of those baby food jars. I don't think they use them anymore. They've gone to plastic containers that you can't see through.

SoulWinner

Commander

Deputy,<br /><br />I have been involved in the auto resto biz. Recently helped out on a 1971 Buick Stage One resto that cost $100+K. It was in about the same condition as your Merc. You have a big job there. If you need any connections for things like platics re-chromers or instrument pod restorers drop me a line. Does Year One handle merc parts?<br /><br />I love the way the tail lights blink for turn signals on those cars!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thats cool DD, I see we have more in common than I thought. I raced as a bomber for one year and two as a purestock, which is real close to an IMCA hobby stock.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

SW, thanks. I will keep you in mind. I have not decided yet if I am going to rod it out or restore back to original. Back to original will cost more and take more time, but will be worth more when done. Street rods are fun and easier. A trunk load of new parts came with the car, new wiring harness complete with flashers for tail lights, all new chrome and other stuff.<br /><br />A friend of mine wants to go into business with me building custom street rods. I don't think it would be a get rich project, but would be a lot of fun. He wanted to go into debt for a shop and start, until I reminded him that he would have to pay interest on a loan while he builds the first car. Could take up to a year working hard at it. I suggested he start with one car, and save the profit, then go fromthere. We bought the first of our project cars for the business. A 1983 Chevy Z28 Camaro. It will be a semi custom street rod. Budget dictates a mild build. That crossfire injection will be fun to play with!<br />Will need some good plastic and fiberglass fabricators for that one.

Marc J.

Petty Officer 1st Class

My old man totaled a 69 Torino GT in 1969 and a 69 Cougar Eliminator in 1970. Both Petty blue with 351s and automatic trannies. I could send a pic of the Cougar if you'd like. I wish they still built cars like those!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

A niegbor down the road has two of those, one, a convertable. I think he had the same plan, but hasn't touched them in the year he has had them. Dunno. But he must've run into a "time wall", as he has lots of toys, and don't play anymore. He has a stock '68 NOVA that he races, and I haven't heard him doing hole shots with it down the one block in front of his house...He must've thrown a rod er something. He has a nice project boat that I've never hear run iether.<br />You know how it is when the babies come and the responsibilties at werk make you more money.<br />That has to be his problem, because I rarely see him around.<br />Good luck with yer merc, dawg. BTW, my wife just bought a SUV just like that, without the "light package" :) she loves the thing.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Only complaint about the Durango is the top speed. Good acceleration, good handeling, if I paid for the gas I would hate that, very roomy. That 115mph top speed stinks. I am thinking of secretly burning the PROM to over ride the speed limit. <br />115 probably fast enough, but really miss the 135 to 140 from my old Crown Vic.

11 footer

Lieutenant

They are nice cars, my dad has one put away in storage.<br /><br />It was his first car,<br />a 1970 XR7 with a 428 Cobra Jet. <br />It needs minor things now from sitting, like weatherstripping and I'm sure all kinds of other rubber parts, but it will be nice once he has the time to mess with it again.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Stumpys:<br /> Good luck on the project... I just finished my 68 Torino last year. Man, I thought I would never get done, besides all the money I spent.
What's your '68 like? I had a '68 Torino GT notchback w/390 and a 4-speed. All black interior. I still dream about that car!<br /><br /><br />-dd-