My New (to me) 1979 Starcraft SS

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: My New (to me) 1979 Starcraft SS

I just 5200'd the bottom part of my cartridge bilge pump to the hull. Others have fabbed brackets that they screw or rivet to the knee brace.

59Thompson

Seaman

If you use an electrical cable clamp to screw the relatively stiff bilge hose to the transom it will hold the pump where you want it without additional items and makes the pump easy to pull for cleaning or to swap in a spare if you carry one, especially if you use push connectors for the 3 pump wires. I have an older Attwood with the self contained float switch; the casing is more rectangular and this method works well for me. Regards, John

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just 5200'd the bottom part of my cartridge bilge pump to the hull. Others have fabbed brackets that they screw or rivet to the knee brace.

Did the same.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome. Thanks guys. Probably tackle that today.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did these boats have ski lockers originally? If so, the PO redecked over the opening (Yes, he put fresh wood over old wood :facepalm:) I'm thinking about buying a ski locker hatch and just cutting an opening for it. Anyone see any concerns over doing this? I've seen people all over on iboats have them. I am just looking for somewhere to get rods and other large items out of the way.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think they had them originally but yes, many of us, including me, have added them. There should be a number of nice locker hatches on ebay.

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got the time to take her out for her Maiden Voyage under my ownership. She ran great. I had a few stalling issues i hope to work out by increasing the idle.

It would shift into Reverse w/ no problem, but when putting it in Forward it loved to stall out the first few times. Once she got rolling though she ran great. I'm not really sure what idle should be in the water but we raised it up to about 700RPM and were still having issues. Originally, it was running at about 500RPM. I don't want to ruin gears so I'm going to have to read thru my manual and see what idle should be if it says it at all.

Could anything else be causing the stall other than a low idle? What's the typical idle for a Merc 800?