my new starcraft jet star (starjet) 15

89beretta

Cadet
Well first I cant remember if its a star jet or a jet star. but it is alum. and 15'. just a pretty ordinary (jon) type boat. very deep and wide for my area. I was wondering if anyone know the hp rating on this boat. this is my first time in a LONG time to this site but I do belong to the aomci.org site and collect and restore alot of outboards. just happened to stumble across this boat and coundt pass up the deal. but any info would be great.
thanks

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer
Re: my new starcraft jet star (starjet) 15

Welcome, Congrats on the "new to you" tinny! It's a Jet Star, and its rated for up to 50hp, but from what I hear will go plenty good with anything over a 25 HP. I'm in the middle of rebuilding one right now and decided to go with a 40 Johnson. These are pretty easy boats to work on, and if you need any help there is wealth of knowledge on these boards! Just ask and we would be happy to help!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Well first I cant remember if its a star jet or a jet star. but it is alum. and 15'. just a pretty ordinary (jon) type boat. very deep and wide for my area. I was wondering if anyone know the hp rating on this boat. this is my first time in a LONG time to this site but I do belong to the aomci.org site and collect and restore alot of outboards. just happened to stumble across this boat and coundt pass up the deal. but any info would be great.
thanks

AOMCI & the Tin-Nation.:eek: There is no hope for you. Post a pic and we'll ID her for you. There are brochures stickied at the top of this forum also.

Welcome Tin Brother.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

welcome to the Starcraft crazzies, lots of advise and at least in my case motivation:redface:

North Beach

Commander

Welcome to iboats 89. if it's a jon type boat then it probably isnt a Jet Star. Post up a couple pics along with whatever info you have ie year, measurments, etc and we'll try to help.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Welcome aboard! Jet's were closed bow run abouts, can get to 33 mph with a 40 hp.

89beretta

Cadet

The tag on the transom says starcraft jetstar 15. the title says its a 1958. The top rails on the boat are wood. cant really see where it has had the bow cut down, if it was cut they did a good job at it. there is a throttle mounting box on the side that looks original to the boat. I seen the brochure for the 58 jetstar and it does look similiar i guess. I will try to post a picture and let me know what you guys think.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/jjdrees/starjet.jpg
starjet.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

This 1958 (if for sure it is that year) is a whole different animal from the later ones and no way this would handle 50 hp. I would bet max. 20-25. I think it might be a case of Starcraft re-using a model name in later years. Anyway, it looks like anice boat that could be a lot of fun with the right motor. Would love to see more pictures.

Did the cat come with the boat? :)

bananaboater

Ensign

That ID plate is mysterious. Does not look like any Jet/Jet Star I remember seeing, even modified. Have you measured it to compare with brochure stats? The lack of rub rails, no deck and the wood top rails shout a different model. More pics might help to clarify the mystery. I think 50 HP rating is high. Could a PO have found a Jet label to put on so he could run a bigger motor?

Welcome to the SC Tin Club.

North Beach

Commander

HaHa My Brochures only go back to 62. But by looking at the brochure in the brochures thread I'd say this probably isn't a 58 Jet Star. Maybe it's a little older or someone switched tags? Pretty cool but I wouldn't try hangin a 50 on it....

89beretta

Cadet

Yeah the only thing I can go by is the name plate on the back and the title which says its a 58 jet star 15. but im not going with a 50hp lol. I picked up an electric start 18hp evinrude yesterday that is going to find its way to the back of this boat. Ive got everything stripped out of it and getting ready to redo all the wood and start building again
starjet2.jpg

North Beach

Commander

Can we please see a pic of the starcraft logo on the side???

North Beach

Commander

OK folks I finally figured this one out. It's really been bugging me. This is deff a 15'Jetstar. Actually it's a 14'6" jetstar and called a Jetstar 15 by our friends at Starcraft. The Front deck was made of Plywood back then, not aluminum as in the 60's and up and I guess so were those awesome looking fins. And the boat is rated to 50 HP...

1958.jpg

There's more info in the brochures section....

North Beach

Commander

Thanks, NB. I guess more in its original state with the added weight, I would believe the 50 hp rating, but not like it sits now! Good detective work.

Yeah with the wood deck, windshield, steering, bench seats etc......

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

the way it sits now with a 50, wouldn't be nothing but prop in the water LOL