MY NEW OUTDRIVE

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Finally, box #2 arrived with my new.. well 40 year old outdrive. I got real lucky on EBay a few weeks ago and found the exact outdrive for a Mercruiser 110 HP. Here is the kicker... $66.00!!<br />I waited posting until after it arrived. The casing is in amazing shape, it looks brand new. The paint is shot, but that is no big deal. I started checking pressure and it doesn't seem to hold, but I want to check a few things first to make sure it isn't operator error. At least this one looks completely rebuild worthy!<br /><br />Back to the wrenches... and pics to come soon

Laddies

Banned
Re: MY NEW OUTDRIVE

Eggkr2 remember that unit has two cavities two ck and fill--bob

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Good job dude.<br /><br />I'm not sure, but as I recall, you can change that engine's cylinder head over from a 'car' head gasket to the single embossed sheet of copper 'boat' gasket, (raising the compression a bit) and get the extra 10hp to get yourself to a '120'.<br />..<br /><br /><br /> From what ya got, and no more horse power than you're putting into it,,,,<br /><br /><br />If the gear lash is good, you put the new seal kit in right,,,,,, <br /><br />It should plow water for the next 20 years just like the family mule does in the sandy loam of your back yard garden. <br /><br /><br />And you've proven the point of what I've told folks for years, "Its easy to buy cheap stuff cheap. It takes a bit of doing to buy good stuff cheap".

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Laddie... thanks for the tip, I did already notice the two fill's. Oddly, when I opened the top of the outdrives' upper, some oil started coming out (yes it was vertical, I made a stand for it and everything) I was thinking it could be related to large temperature fluctuations from outside to my basement.<br /><br />Winger, no I didn't do the car head, must've been someone else, but it sounds familar to mee too.<br /><br />I did post once about what is the difference from the 110 to the 120. I have researched my butt off on this one. The ONLY spec that is different from the 110 to the 120 is the cam lobe spec. This tells me that maybe a came swap and some carb adjustments and you could have a 120! Then I learned the 3.0 is just a bored out 2.5 (like the 110 and the 120) and that Mercruiser 'down powered' some of these by putting the 2.5 heads on them and so on and so on<br /><br />My goal was to find a clean, rebuildable unit and I am so psyched that I got this lucky. I will try to post pics tonight