my new old 1988 ss20v

ab59

Ensign
yep especially up front got extra coats front and back. One thing I noticed about the original deck was that even in it's worst damaged areas it still had more than half of the plywood plys intact and solid, too rotted for me not to replace but still could have made it last a couple of more years . 27 years old , I would say that was a good run and the decking was not sealed on the bottom at all. I did leave the one piece in the boat that was under the console area , it did not show any rot and was solid as a rock.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Your cruising right along. Looking forward to seeing how she looks with the carpet in. I do believe I'm starting to get twofootitis!🤔

ab59

Ensign
toooo funny- guys I got the carpet cut for the deck , laid it in place and then realized that one gallon of glue ain't gonna get it . I ordered the glue when I bought the carpet and now it looks like I will have to mix two different kinds of outdoor adhesive . I kinda live in podunksville and there ain't much more than home depot and they do not carry marine carpet glue so guess I'll take the most water resistant brand that I can find around here and use that. Either that or order online and wait up to a week for it to get here. Dang, wanted to get all the carpet in and at least half of the upholstery done before the engine gets here and that should be within a week or so.
It will be what it will be so I guess I'll do what I can and just stay on it till I get er done.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I glued mine with the cheapo Roberts adhesive from either Lowes or Home Depot. Stuff is STRONG. When I redid my bow deck (after it cracked cuz I used too thin of ply) I tried to pull the carpet off to use the wood as templates and the carpet completely pulled apart before the glue let go. So yeah, no issue with the regular 'ol outdoor carpet adhesive.

ab59

Ensign
ezmobee - hope you are talking about the Roberts 6700 cause it looks like that's my only choice unless I order online.. Another cup of coffee and I'm headed down there. don't know why Starcraft put these aluminum curbs in the back half of the boat but it sure makes deck and carpet replacement a major pain in the butt for no real reason that I can see .

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
That will do the job. If you do not already have one, get the notched trowel for glue application too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
ezmobee - hope you are talking about the Roberts 6700 cause it looks like that's my only choice unless I order online.

Yeah that's the stuff. Seconded on the notched trowel. Be careful not to have too much globbed in one spot because it will soak up through the carpet and look bad.

ab59

Ensign
Yup, I have some notched trowels left over from the carpet job on the 1977 16' Ski Barge that I restored last year. Wish this job was as simple as that one was. I leveled out a low spot near the engine cut out and as soon as that dries the carpet is gettin glued down. I separated the deck from the sides of the hull to make installation a little easier so this is going to be a two or three step carpet job.

ab59

Ensign
just got the deck carpet glued down but haven't cut out the inspection holes yet or the gear locker in the floor up by the consoles . will trim and tuck the carpet under the side curbs and take care of the inspection holes in the morning , temps should hit near 100 tomorrow so early is good. Hope I can also get the sides carpeted tomorrow as well, guess I will work until it gets to hot. DSC01899.JPG DSC01901.JPG DSC01902.JPG DSC01898.JPG

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good, man there's a bunch of old glue everywhere and is that bed liner stuff on the gunnels?

fetch

ab59

Ensign
Watermann-- I have been trying to decide just what is on the gunnels. I'm just about sure that it is old , deteriorated carpet backing the old heavy rubber backed stuff. I keep trying to talk myself into using bed liner in those areas but I will probably wind up using carpet, not quite sure yet. Your sure rite about the old glue everywhere and I hope I'm rite about having a gallon of what looks like the same stuff because I am not going to sand or use solvent to get the old glue off. Pretty sure that the glue I bought along with the carpet is the same and so they should meld together . I dunno .

BWR1953

Admiral
Watermann-- I have been trying to decide just what is on the gunnels. I'm just about sure that it is old , deteriorated carpet backing the old heavy rubber backed stuff. I keep trying to talk myself into using bed liner in those areas but I will probably wind up using carpet, not quite sure yet. Your sure rite about the old glue everywhere and I hope I'm rite about having a gallon of what looks like the same stuff because I am not going to sand or use solvent to get the old glue off. Pretty sure that the glue I bought along with the carpet is the same and so they should meld together . I dunno .

Maybe try a small test spot and see if it works? If it doesn't, you don't have to redo the entire gunwale.

Watermann

Yeah if that's old carpet backing them it has to come off before anything will ever adhere long term to those gunnels.

ab59

Ensign
well guys I guess I will have to do some testing and belt sanding on the black stuff to see what will happen. Beginning to see that maybe I should have done the deck last because I could screw up all the work I've done in a hot tick with other glues and grinding above . I am finishing up the access holes in the deck and the main locker before I deal with the other problems. will see tomorrow--------

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well guys I guess I will have to do some testing and belt sanding on the black stuff to see what will happen. Beginning to see that maybe I should have done the deck last because I could screw up all the work I've done in a hot tick with other glues and grinding above . I am finishing up the access holes in the deck and the main locker before I deal with the other problems. will see tomorrow--------
I would try stripping it with the jasco premium stripper rather than a belt sander. I had black bed liner on my transom and the jasco took it right off. You can put plastic drop cloths over the work you've already done to protect it.

ab59

Ensign
mbroughton-- I may try the Jasco but not sure about exactly what I want to do yet. I am playing with the idea of laying some hardwood plywood up there and stain it in a Teak color.
I got the deck carpet cut in today and re finished the Teak cover for the gear stow. I'm going to go ahead and install the rest of the carpet before I deal with the gunnels. It's headed for 110* in a day or two so don't know how much I will get done but I'll keep pluggin.

DSC01903.JPG DSC01904.JPG DSC01906.JPG

Watermann

Hardwood plywood is not exterior rated, at least any that I know of so it's not advisable to use it in a boat. I would first try running a fine wire wheel over that material on the gunnels to see if that will take it off before going to chemicals and scraping.

Did you replace the wood inside the motor mount supports? Original transom wood it looks like too.

fetch

ab59

Ensign
Transom is good and solid just a little peeling of some kind of treatment of the wood . I have not made the new motor mount wood yet but will when it is time I will , just have so many other things to do that prep time is limited. Engine should be here any time now and when it does all attention will go to installing that upon arrival. We have a problem with transients as well as prowlers around here that I can't seem to do anything about so If it's not bolted down and has much value it may disappear . Sad part is if I were to resort to " self help " I would surely be the one to go to jail.\
Anyway the day is slipping away so I better head out and get busy .

Watermann

Yeah a big dog and or security cameras are almost a must nowadays, sad...

ab59

Ensign
Wow , what a wasted day , temps over 103 and looking at 110 AND HIGHER for the next few days . Whew summer is here with a vengeance , I knew that I should have worked a little harder in May. Cut carpet for the sides today and sealed the edges so it would stop falling apart . Got them laid in and screwed into the bottom of the aluminum curb to the deck but stopped there to test glues. Broke open the gallon of the glue I bought wiht the carpet only to find out that it was not what I thought it was !! This stuff looks, feels and smells like Elmer's White Glue-All. I took a piece of scrap carpet and some of the glue and found one of the most heaviest areas on the side hull and stuck it on there. I was not confident at all about my experiment but when I pulled it off three hours later , it was really starting to bond good. It pulled the pulled the scrap carpet into pieces that I had to scrape off so I guess that there wont be any problems about going over the old glue. Good thing too , was not looking forward to sanding or using stripper to get it off of there.
Somehow I have to find a way to get my crippled old butt up out of that bed and out the door by 6:00 instead of my usual 8:00 am and then coffee till 9:00 and start my day routine. LOL