My new dog

NathanY

Commander
I got me a new puppy today, an AKC Black Lab. He is absolutely flawless, and a great temperment, but we will see what he is like in 1 year. Well anyways, I need to get some help naming him. <br /><br />You all have any ideas? Best name wins :D

tylerin

Commander
Re: My new dog

Black Lab? Hows about Buck.......short for Buckwheat ;) The guy who helps me train my labs insists on one syllable. Then again he's from Kentucky :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

We had a black lab growing up named Max. Great name for a great dog. He was an excellent family dog, but had to get rid of him because he was so protective Dad couldn't take him hunting with other dogs. But he sure a good dog with we kids and loved to fetch.<br />Bassy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Nathan You'll love the Lab, you'll also love the name for our wonderfull yellow lab, but you can't use it. One it's already spoken for and two it's a goil.<br /><br />DIXIE !! Yahoo, da south shall rise again!<br />Stick that up your nose, John Kerry, and breath deep. It's gonna be the South that buries you!<br /><br />Ps, Sorry to turn this political. I couldn't resist!<br /><br />
020706.jpg

Kenneth Brown

Captain

A black lab ya say huh. Thats an easy one, just call him, oh wait, that wont work, this world is all politicly correct now. Call him Bob, that is easy to remeber and if ya spell it backwards its still the same.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Here is one for you.<br />Many years back I knocked around with this bloke, and his wife's name was Bill.<br />One day I asked why she was called Bill. She told me her Dad wanted a son but ended up with 3 daughters. He gave them girls names (her real name was Marlene) but he called all 3 gilrs after his cattle dogs, being Bill, Mac and Tut :D :D <br />The names stuck and all 3 girls went through life with these 'nick names". No one knew their proper names.<br />I tell you, it was a real treat attending a party with all 3 of them there. Nobody knew what the h*ll was going on. :D :D <br />Cheers<br />Phillip

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />Then again he's from Kentucky :D
Hey watch it buddy. There's nothing wrong with being from Kentucky. :p

Trent

Captain

Yea Boomyal.... How'd you get a pic of my dog? :) <br />Iv had several dogs over the years. My lab is my buddy. Best dog Iv ever had.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was a K-9 handler for my department for about 5-6 years. I had a Golden Retriever "Shane".<br />He was a narcotics and tracking dog. He was great. I spent 8 hours a day and more with him.<br />We made many a bust for possession/trafficking. <br />He was good at tracking also, he could pick up an hour old scent and track for about a mile, which is good for a non-blood hound.<br />He was also over 10 years old.<br />I had to retire him due to his hips, and eventually put him down. :( <br /><br />He lives on in our memories. Adults, who were kids 15 years ago still come up and ask how is "Shane". I had him around the schools a lot back then.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

We also have a knew pup, supposed to be lab golden ret. mix. You could do what I do and let his personality develope then name him accordingly. He won't mind a name change.

oddjob

Commander

Midnight, Blackjack, Tar, Rocky,.......just call him dog for awhile, eventually he will name himself...:)works for me..<br /><br />EDIT: oops! I didnt read Bigfuns post..ditto...

KennyKenCan

Commander

Hey Nathan,<br /><br />Just call him "Fred".<br /><br />When you name a dog with a human name, they just seem to warm up to ya even more.<br /><br />Guess it makes them think their more like us.

gaugeguy

Captain

How bout "Beau"? <br /><br />Good luck and enjoy your new best friend :)

tylerin

Commander

Me and you and a dog name " BLUE "<br />Its blue I tell you :D The great Carphunter 2004

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> Here is one for you.<br />Many years back I knocked around with this bloke, and his wife's name was Bill.<br />One day I asked why she was called Bill. She told me her Dad wanted a son but ended up with 3 daughters...
Phil – same thing. I used to ‘knock around’ with a pair of twins, Kevin and Kim, their actual names. Their dad wanted boys and wasn’t willing to part with the names when he got girls. ‘Kim’ was ok because it is an ambidextrous name, but ‘Kevin’ was forever having to explain herself. They were born before "A Boy Named Sue". :)

18rabbit

Captain

Nathan – we got our puppy about a year ago. Decided to try something different, no kibble food. I’ve heard all the arguments about kibble being better than canned, etc…blah, blah, blah. Some years back an Australian veterinarian sat down and thought “if I didn’t feed my dog, what would he eat?” The result is called the B.A.R.F. diet, biologically appropriate raw food…basically its food that is appropriate for a dog’s metabolism.<br /><br />Best decision we ever made!!!<br /><br />Labs are susceptible to hip dysplasia. Many dogs have had to be put down because of it. When the Aussie placed large breed dogs on the barf diet something unexpected happened, the hip dysplasia all but disappeared. He thinks the reason is due to the calcium fortified kibble food. A dog’s digestive system is designed to work hard to get a limited amount of calcium from raw bones. Kibble food has the calcium just sitting there, ready to go, and the dog’s system sucks up way too much calcium, manifesting in inappropriately formed joints…and thus hip dysplasia.<br /><br />The best thing you can do for your dog is feed him raw* chicken wings and/or chicken backs. It is the perfect balance of skin (fat), meat (protein), and bone (calcium). <br /><br />*Note: NEVER feed a dog any cooked bones, especially DO NOT feed your dog cooked chicken bones. Cooked bones crack and splinter, raw chicken bones are very much chewable for dogs. Dogs live for raw bones!!! :) <br /><br />If you (or anyone else) is interested in the barf diet, I’ll post more about it in greater detail. Dogs also need lots of veggies and fruit. My critter loves avocado, mango, tomato …