my 'new' boat / rotten transom / what would you do?

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: my 'new' boat / rotten transom / what would you do?

If you choose to scrap this boat, I would piece it out on Ebay, you will do better, and save the trailer,as many nice boats are available but often sans a trailer. so to have one is a big head start on a used boat. I just bought a used cruiser in great shape for the indoor storage fee bill that the marina forclosed on in Michigan. Havent found a tear. or fade spot or anything else wrong with this 1985 boat.

Coors

Captain

Demolish50;
You are almost home, if you feel comfortable about the stringers.
Boats are never-ending repairs. Even a new one-as soon as the loan payments end, payments for repairs/up-keep continue.
I like tasha d's statement, "disposable"
Yep, but if you enjoy the boat, it is worth it.
And everything you repair, better than factory, gives it more life, and dependability.
Good luck with it; the forum is always here to help.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am in the same boat as you so to speak. I just purchased a 1970 Glaspar and was told no leaks, solid boat beside the floor, due to no cover the last 3 years. I bought it and went to mount my motor and drilled me a hole and found weird shavings from the drill bit. I posted a thread and sure enough it is rotted. This is my 3rd boat of the season 1st to small for 85 horse, 2nd I bought for the trailer so I guess it dont count, 3rd is my current boat. I went ahead and mounted my motor and just came back from takin her out. The transom handled better than I thought it would, in fact it looks like it will get me through the season. Leaving my repairs in the winter. I will do these myself, and for a engine hoist I bought a $15 tow strap and a $40 come along, works like a charm. From forums here I have read that transom work ca be done by anyone who sets out to do it. Is your situation that far gone that you cant get by for a few months and then do your repairs in the winter like I plan to do? If so that would be the best thing, if not maybe sell and get a better hull. They are out their just be careful next time we dont want to make the same mistake twice! Hope it all works out for ya...

cordell

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I decided to have it fixed. It was interesting the way he did it, since most of the Transom was in ok shape somehow they repaired just the rotten part in the center, even in the center it was only one corner near one of the bolts for the transom assembly. They said it looked like the hole for the gimbal housing was cut to big and that is the part of the reason of the premature failure..

It ended up costing me about 1600, 800 of which was the actual transom repair, I had to have some other work done as well.

I've gotten about 10 hours on the water with it and so far so good, not a single drop in the bilge.

Keep my fingers crossed.

Man was it nice to FINALLY get to be able to enjoy my boat..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

congrats.....

personally im glad u decided to fix it.....

a transom can go as long as 25 years with average dilligence...(keep it covered, proper winterization)

have fun.....when you decide to up grade in a few years....check back here for shopping tips and what to look for

ksims1868

Cadet

What about finding a boat (nicer hull than you have now) with a blown motor that has a good hull and buying that to put your drive-train in?

I have not done this...so I don't know if it's a feasible option. Just thinking if the hull is rotten and trashed...but the mechanics are excellent...use what you can and only buy what you have to.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What about finding a boat (nicer hull than you have now) with a blown motor that has a good hull and buying that to put your drive-train in?

I have not done this...so I don't know if it's a feasible option. Just thinking if the hull is rotten and trashed...but the mechanics are excellent...use what you can and only buy what you have to.

Me thinks someone was trolling the thread and didn't read the entire thing :p:p