my 'new' boat / rotten transom / what would you do?

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok guys here is my situation, I am throughly disgusted and need some advice. I purchased a 95 Larson 174 for about $5250 from a guy in december. Ran it briefly before the sale and bought it. Now knowing what to look for nothing stood out as being a problem. I have since invested, $950 in motor repairs, oil seals...Also another $400 in other misc items, shift cable, steering cable, etc...

I don't have the means to repair this boat, I was givin a rough estimate of $1500 to fix the transom. I am supposed to get a firm estimate tommorrow...the shop currently has the boat...

What do I do? Do I cut my losses here? I cant' sell it, I would feel like an ***** so that is completly out of the question. I can't take it back to the guy or even so much as whine about it...as is sale...

Do I ditch this and just go buy new? Do I keep on fixing problems as they come up. The way I see it...stringers/floor are good. Motor is good, outdrive is good. What else should I check? I mean $1500-$2000 is cheaper then a brand new boat. But then again...

ideas?

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: my 'new' boat / rotten transom / what would you do?

At this point in the game, I would fix it. You have already put so much in the boat. You have roughly 6500 into it already, and you need to put another 2k into it, or lose the 6500 you already sunk into it. By dont have the means to fix it, are you talking mechanically? monetarily? If it were my boat,I would do all the reading I could and then jump in, but thats me. I know how you feel about selling it, and its the same way I think, I cant pawn my problems off on someone else. ( although it appears this was done to you) Hopefully you will be able to fix it and enjoy it.

Chris

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I mean mechanically. As far as the money goes I can work that out I suppose.

My biggest worry would be other big expense items. Is there anything else I should check before I sink another $1.5k into it.

Coors

Captain

does the shop think the powertrain, etc are fine for a long time now?
If so, $1500 sounds cheap, but- are the stringers, etc ok? You need to have them check that.

If just another $1500, plus what you already put in it; welcome to used boats.

Then hopefully, with proper care, several years of small $ flying into it.

a70eliminator

Captain

I like optimistic approach, I was disgusted as you when bought my used 1990 boat, didn't know what I do now as I've since learned what to look for in a boat or rather how to find hidden issues. I had to sink a bunch of work into the boat granted your boat I would have to see but you could just cut you loss get rid of it now buy a better boat for less cabbage your going to get for it, transom is a big job. You didn't say what repairs you done to the motor, or even what motor and srive it is unless I missed it.

erikgreen

Captain

Yeah, if the transom is the last thing to fix, then I'd fix it.... make sure you keep receipts for all that in case you sell it.. you won't get your money back out of it, but with receipts you can get a higher price than otherwise.

Make sure there's nothing else wrong that will require major work though... stringers and deck come to mind. Even if the deck needs work, if the stringers are sound then you can safely run the boat for a year or two before putting any more cash into it.

If this is your first boat, count it as a learning experience anyway... expect to run it into a few things, run it aground, etc, before too long :)

Erik

salty87

Commander

seals, shift cable, steering cable, etc are all pretty much standard for any used boat. i'd also say that transom and or deck is to be expected unless it's already been done, just a matter of time. that's 13 years old now, builders don't make em to last forever. at least at this point you know the control cables and other stuff are in good order. if you're just a transom away from a solid boat, that's alot closer than starting over.

i/o?...has the outdrive been looked at?

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was in your shoes with my first boat...ugh...I would donate your boat and they will come and tow it away and whatever they sell it for at auction is what you deduct from your taxes next year (can't get back less than $500 no matter what it sells for). Don't sink another nickle into that boat unless you would rather be in your yard instead of out on the water. Maybe my experience was extreme, but I learned an expensive lesson and have not repaired anything on my new boat (4 years old) so far.

Go to the next big boat show and finance a brand new boat that has no wood and a 10+ year or lifetime hull warranty...You get good deals at these shows and you have a nice variety to choose from. I walked away with a brand new 18' SeaPro with trailer and 90hp yamaha at the Chesapeake Bay boat show for 16,000 out the door. I will never buy used again unless it is only a few years old, top brand (Whaler), and NO WOOD. My 3 cents.

Bamboo

Seaman

Does the outdrive and/or motor need to be removed to perform the transom repairs? If so, does that 1500 include removal/re-installation and alignment? What about the motor mounts? (I'm assuming it's an I/O)

Maybe go through with the repairs (assuming it is only another 2 k or so), use the boat this year, sell it, and count the whole experience up to learning. You will be much smarter about what to look for and what you want in your next boat.

BTW - I have been in your shoes, did the wood repairs, and sold it because I lost my love for that boat. Really, what you are going through is pretty typical boating stuff...you know what B.O.A.T stands for, right? :)
Good Luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree fix it, use it for several years to the get the investment out of it. after the repairs, and proper care, you should get a good 10 years out of it. boats, and boat repair are not investments, they are disposable recreational dollars.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd fix it. You'll really be eating a lot of money if you ditch it and buy new. Are you sure you can't do the work yourself? Removing an engine and drive from a boat is a lot less complicated than removing an engine from a modern car. And there's lots of information in the Restoration section on here to help you out.

cbavier

Lieutenant

We've all been taken to the cleaners before. So don't think your the only one. I agree FIX IT then chalk it up as a learning experience. Use and enjoy the boat for a few years to recoup some of your money. If you sell it now or get rid of it.. you have your conscience to deal with and probably will take a big loss financially too. So just bite the bullet and learn. Apparently there were some features about the boat that appealed to you so after the repairs are completed you will be confident the boat is safe and in good running order. Good Luck and hopefully many years of happy boating.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am betting your stringers and floor are soft and water logged if your transom is rotten. Do you feel your performance is not up to par? seat mounts feeling loose?.. It could be you are lugging around a lot of wet wood and foam under the floor. To get this boat safe and sound, you will drop another $4,000 in my opinion (having someone else do the work). I would bite the bullet and buy new or spend that 4k on a used boat that needs not work so you can enjoy the water...quick search shows for this amount, you can find a nice boat:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/649754378.html

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am 90% sure the stringers and floor are solid. I had pulled a big peice of plywood from the floor already to get to the fuel tank sender. I could see a lot from that vantage point. I am going to get the shop to check though before I make any decesion.

I don't have any sort of engine hoist or place to really do the repairs myself. The boat is kept underneath a covered carport.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sell it and buy a New Boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'd be concerned about the rest of the boat. A 12-13 year old boat that already has the transom rotted out of it has not been cared for all that well. You've already dropped more money into the engine to get that right. At this point, in for a penny, in for a pound. Fix it and use it. As it is, you'd be lucky to get anything approaching half of what you've got into it if you disclose the issues up front...
- Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

I see an economic dilemma that nobody here can decide for you. Knowing that the transom is bad means that if you sell it now, you should disclose that to the buyer, which probably means you will lose a good deal of money.

Fixing it should give you a good workable boat that is, admittedly worth less than you have in it. Still, if everything else is sound, you'll get a good use out of it, and be able to sell it without being morally obligated to disclose a major defect.

It happens.

The following is not for you, but for others reading this thread:

If you're going to drop several thousand dollars on a used boat, an invesment in a professional survey of that boat is really cheap insurance that you're probably not buying hidden flaws. A surveyor would have spotted the rotten transom, certainly, and you probably would not have bought the boat.

I hope those reading this who are looking for a boat will learn from your mistake and go ahead and pay the nice surveyor to have a disinterested look at the boat you're considering.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree that getting a survey is essential when buying a used boat...The good thing is that he did not go out and buy an expensive used 25' rotten boat as his first boat...I have seen many do that and they never looked at another boat since.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyone want a slightly used boat ? 3k will get you in the water, really, it will get you in the water.

Anyway I'm going to sit on it for the weekend and think about it.