My new 1977 16' SS

Alembic

Cadet
Hello all, been reading the restro threads here over the past 4 months. I used to have an islander for a while but sold it before splash. I'm hoping this one gets in the water and is mine for a long time.

I'm now a starman again...

Picked this up over the weekend. It popped up in the CL thread (Luckily I had contacted the poster within 10 min of posting on CL as it was first responder gets first viewing).

Got it for $475. Not too bad of a deal. Gonna just try to get it running around for the summer before tackeling a big restore.

When I do tackle it she will need new floor, vinyl, transom, seats, some new wiring etc. May do some rivets and paint as well since there is some silicone on some of the rivets. I'm not the best at this stuff so worried about getting in over my head.

The bow floor is very rotten after the last owner let it sit out for a winter. That needs to be done now and the foam is wet so that will come out.

Some pics:
Untitled-2.jpg

bow.jpg

seats.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

BonairII

Commander
Re: My new 16' SS

Looks like you got a great deal. Nice boat.

TONS of SS resto threads here(including mine), so fixin' her up will be a breeze.

Keep the pics coming....

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome to the madness, great deal on a great boat, if that 70 Johny runs good it will be a real nice set up.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back to the Tin World. She looks worn, but for $475 a great deal. And if the Jonny runs and works - Oh boy, a steal.

barato2

Commander

good boat for the price. and don't worry about your skills, when you get the boat apart, you'll find that the folks who built it were often no better.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a great price on that boat. Looks like lots of fun in the months ahead and lots of tips and advise on this site. have fun and welcome!

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the first picture of your boat and the last picture of your boat ...that blue really pops...Love it...
I have not seen that steering wheel before...what year is your boat and do you know if that is the original steering wheel...just
curious...
Some people have no idea what year their boats are built and try to find out by the small changes to the model from year to year...
the more changes we can find and confirm the years for those changes/options..the easier to figure the most likely year built..
If I were to guess...and it is a guess..1979???

Looks like you got a great deal on the boat:D2012 06 17 FATHERS DAY JEFFS BOAT S RESIZED.jpg2011 08 20 MY BOAT AT NIGHT A RESIZED 800X600.jpg

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got that same steering wheel on my '77 SS 18.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice deal you got there. If the motor is a runner, GA got it right. You better stop posting pix & keep it in the garage until the coppers stop looking for it/you:D. You should feel guilty, & probably oughta head back over to the sellers house & give him a couple hundred more & a hug:eek: Adult frosty libations would be a nice gesture as well....

Welcome & Congrats!

Alembic

Cadet

Well JB right now the frosty beverage is for me...

Ya see my back is hurting this evening and I blame all of you here (Thanks:))

Went out to check it over again and poke at the rot in the bow floor and did not like it so I pulled it out to make another. It was wet in the bow...

Managed to save some of the board to make a template for replacement. Here is my template:

photo3-11.jpg

Had seomthing wierd inthe bow as well. Looks like someone glassed in a box up there. Water tight and has a drain hole just the right size for a plug to fit into. Dunno what is really going on here. Any ideas?

photo7.jpg

photo-11.jpg

Alembic

Cadet

Since I was in there I just went ahead and pulled the rest of the floor. I guess plans change, not splashing real soon...

photo8.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

Looked like the floor had been replaced but just to let me have some fun the previous owner did not epoxy it or seal it at all. Great! More for me.

Somehow he got it up under the lip above the (dunno the real term) ribs?

photo6-11.jpg

So I had to cut the back 2 floor boards out, Still will work good for templates I guess.

Here is how my bilge pump was attached

photo4-1.jpg

And all washed out:

photo2-1.jpg

photo1-13.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Man are you lucky, she needs work. Man are you lucky, you found the Starcraft Restoration Headquarters of the World. Today is your lucky day, she's a Starcraft!

Welcome to the workshop. Everybody's got a project going too. Some of these guys are on their second or third boat so we have a few experts around here. The Johnson forum is pretty tight too. Man are you lucky. ok I'll stop now.

welcome

don

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice clean out. Quick too. Let me tell you a little story about some bedliner & a 15' Jet.....

Never mind, we wouldn't want cause anyone else to have a nightmare about that stuff......

It looks fantastic, strange glass box & all..... Bait/live well? Cruel joke by a former glasser? If it doesn't affect your plan for the bow, I'd leave it. Might prove handy....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here we go again. A guy buys a perfectly good Starcraft and minutes after getting it home reduces it to component parts. Way to go, Alembic. :D You couldn't do that on a glasser. :eek: From the looks of things the floor was toast. Make sure you poke, stick and shake the heck out of the transom. If you have any doubts about it, plan on an R & R.

On the glass box in front, that's a ..., no it's, nah, it's ......, heck no clue, bud. Keep asking questions. You're in the right place.

EDIT - Even with the floor, you still got a great deat.

BonairII

Commander

Here we go again. A guy buys a perfectly good Starcraft and minutes after getting it home reduces it to component parts.

The OP is a man after my own heart. ;)

All it takes is some innocent poking and prodding around the boat. You find just a bit of rot....then a little more......the next thing you know the boat is gutted. :p

Alembic

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome.

So these go back together twice as easy as they come apart right guys?

Right??

Transom is on the list as well. Gotta get a come-a-long for that to get the motor off.

BTW it is titled as a 1977.

jbcurt00

Staff member

All it takes is some innocent poking and prodding around the boat. You find just a bit of rot....then a little more......the next thing you know the boat is gutted. :p

We all love a gutted, clean & tidy hull w/ a huge debris pile in the driveway. Admirals tend to find it somewhat less attractive:redface: Especially when it's right after you bring a 'water ready' no hassle tinny home....:facepalm:

barato2

Commander

oh yeah...i remember that "honey, it's not another project" line. even believed it at the time......

they actually are pretty easy to put back together. i wouldn't bother replicating the PO's floors that extend into the strake....just make em normal width for easier fitting. if it's like my 18', those won't sit on the stringers anyway without some blocks on top of stringers. you'll see holes in the ribs where the factory had the outboard rivets. i bet you could talk one of our number who's a little ahead of you on their resto of a 16' into making some paper patterns for your wasted floor sections and mailing em to you. that bow section is a bear to replicate without one.

rotted floor and all, you still stole that boat.....

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

We all love a gutted, clean & tidy hull w/ a huge debris pile in the driveway.
Admirals tend to find it somewhat less attractive:redface: Especially when it's right after you bring a
'water ready' no hassle tinny home....:facepalm:
About 4 or 5 years ago, before I had my boat...my father in-law came over and we talked in the kitchen..
he told me about a 16ft boat with a 40hp outboard for $1200...a friend he played cards with had it for sale.
.I told him my wife would kill me if I bought a boat...the wife was in the next room and heard the
conversation ..came in and said...I didn't say you could not buy a fishing boat...JUST NO MORE PROJECTS..
.went to look at the boat...not as descibed..12ft with a 40hp for $1500 turned it down...started looking on CL..
did some bidding on a Starcraft 16ft SS .... did not look like a project...won the bidding..got it home...
soft deck...slow leak in the bow... oops...much later .. looking for a really good compass on line
...the Admiral looked over my shoulder and saw what I was doing...why a compass?....
Get GPS...Gotta love orders like that from the Admiral...:D