My New 12.5 Ft. SIB w/ Pictures!

TravlnMan

Recruit
I am new to the forums as this is my first posting but have been looking at the ibotas forums for months now. I have owned SIB's for over 30 years but never been involved in a forum so found this site very cool.

I currently have a 1989 Zodiac C310 with a 15HP Mercury but wanted to get something a bit bigger for fishing with my sons. I did a lot of investigation into inflatables, so much so that there is likely none that I am not familiar with. In June I found the SIB that fit my need perfectly. It is a 12.5' Dive/Rescue from JP Marine in San Diego, California (www.jpmarine.com). I spoke with the owner Josh who has been super to work with. Like many inflatables today it was manufactured in Korea. Josh has the boats private labeled and built to his specifications which includes 1.2mm Hypertex PVC tubes, 1.5mm Hypertex PVC hull. Josh also designed the boat to have an extra layer of the 1.5 mm Hypertex PVC under the tubes which gives a 3.0 mm for contact in the sand / surface. The boat also has a very thick run strake along the keel and under the transom for added durability.

The boat has 1/2" aluminum floors, 20" tubes is rated for 1,599 LBS. and has the U.S. Coast Guard compliance on the registration plate. The boat came with two aluminum bench seats, bow storage bag, two oar sets (one set of standard one-piece aluminum poled /plastic paddle oars that attach to the inside of the boat and one set of two-piece aluminum poled /plastic paddle oars that store in the side mount storage bag), a foot pump, repair kit and two very nice carrying / storage bags (one for the SIB and one for the floor panels). I got allof this for $2,195.00!

Once the boat was delivered I started my mods! Although I use the forward bench seat (with cushion and seat bag I also purchased from JP Marine) when I have more than two passengers I chose to not use the rear bench and puchased two Swivel-Eze base mount aluminum adjustable seat pedestals and Tempress folding boat seats. I used stainless steel hardware to mount the pedestals to the aluminum floor panels. Each pedestal uses 6 bolts and with my 225 lbs. doesn't move at all. I also added the required rod holders for my many hours I will spend trout fishing on the river.

As for the motor. I will let you know that I started with the desire to operate with my 15HP Merc and although the boat only weighs 167 LB. the added lenght and weight versus my old 10',2" Zodiac the motor strained to to go over 15 MPH and has to be run at full throttle all of the time to stay on plane. Fortunaltly for me I was able to get one heck of a deal on a new, in the crate Yamaha 25HP, 2-stroke outboard. This motor is AWESOME! It jumps out of the hole and gets on plane quickly. It really gives me the low end torque and top end speed that I want for this boat and at only 104 LB. I can remove and store it. The new 4-stoke engines weigh over 150 LB. and are beasts to carry.

I am considering Smart Tabs to assist in getting the boat on plane fastest when carrying the family but hope that they too can assist in providing added stability and ride control at higher speeds. I contacted Naticus and they said that they will improve the ride and stability but would like to hear from others that use these trim tabs for their first-hand knowledge on their effect on ride control and stability. If others feel that the hydrofoil that attaches to the anticavitation plate is better for ride stability please chime in!

So without further ado, here are the pics...

Attachments

• DSC_1216.jpg
    DSC_1216.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1221.jpg
    DSC_1221.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1238.jpg
    DSC_1238.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_1259.jpg
    DSC_1259.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 2

JerzyJr

Cadet
Re: My New 12.5 Ft. SIB w/ Pictures!

Boat looks really nice!!! I use a 25hp tohatsu on my 14 foot inflatable and it moves very well. Can I ask where you found that trailer??? Im looking for something like that for my next inflatable

TravlnMan

Recruit

Boat looks really nice!!! I use a 25hp tohatsu on my 14 foot inflatable and it moves very well. Can I ask where you found that trailer??? Im looking for something like that for my next inflatable

I purchased the trailer from Northern Tool. Mine is from 1988 and was recently repainted black and updated with wider wheels, tires, and bearing buddies. I made the bunk boards from pressure treated 2 x 4's and covered them with marine grade black carpet. It works great!

Northern Tool still sells the trailer and the beauty is that they fold in half and can stand up for storage. My images show the trailer without the caster wheels necessary for standing up and storage. Here is the link to the style made today for Northern Tool:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356493_200356493

nobrainsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

My two stroke 40 came from the PO with a dolfin hydrofoil on the outboard. To keep the bow rise down I had to trim the outboard in toward the transom. This did have quite an effect, but that was not the best position for speed, less drag and less splashing. I have power tilt so I was able to trim the outboard out after I was at speed and on a plane, but I didn't like the constant adjustment and the way the dolfin snagged kelp big time.

I run with the Smart Tabs now. I get to trim my outboard for performance rather than trying to overcome bow rise. The tabs sure do help keep my bowrise down and do help stabilize the vessel under way. They automatically adjust and don't significantly dent my top speed. I think moving weight forward in the boat (battery, gas tank and anchor) helps a lot. But if I should forget to lower my tabs (I installed an optional pulley system to raise them for beaching) it is instantly apparent as I give the outboard any throttle. They do work well.

ZIZON

Seaman

Your boat is excellent, it is now in my wish list, i'm going to buy one soon. Can you please tell me where to buy those seats and how to mod it. Thanks

I'm new in this field, please anyone can tell me this boat can go safely in coastal area.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Very nice combo, congrats!! Is that a 1 wooden bow pannel with 4 alum pannels floor sib? How many side joiners (stringers) do you have per side ? 4 total : to long, 2 short ?

Happy Boating

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am new to the forums as this is my first posting but have been looking at the ibotas forums for months now. I have owned SIB's for over 30 years but never been involved in a forum so found this site very cool.

I currently have a 1989 Zodiac C310 with a 15HP Mercury but wanted to get something a bit bigger for fishing with my sons. I did a lot of investigation into inflatables, so much so that there is likely none that I am not familiar with. In June I found the SIB that fit my need perfectly. It is a 12.5' Dive/Rescue from JP Marine in San Diego, California (www.jpmarine.com). I spoke with the owner Josh who has been super to work with. Like many inflatables today it was manufactured in Korea. Josh has the boats private labeled and built to his specifications which includes 1.2mm Hypertex PVC tubes, 1.5mm Hypertex PVC hull. Josh also designed the boat to have an extra layer of the 1.5 mm Hypertex PVC under the tubes which gives a 3.0 mm for contact in the sand / surface. The boat also has a very thick run strake along the keel and under the transom for added durability.

The boat has 1/2" aluminum floors, 20" tubes is rated for 1,599 LBS. and has the U.S. Coast Guard compliance on the registration plate. The boat came with two aluminum bench seats, bow storage bag, two oar sets (one set of standard one-piece aluminum poled /plastic paddle oars that attach to the inside of the boat and one set of two-piece aluminum poled /plastic paddle oars that store in the side mount storage bag), a foot pump, repair kit and two very nice carrying / storage bags (one for the SIB and one for the floor panels). I got allof this for $2,195.00!

Once the boat was delivered I started my mods! Although I use the forward bench seat (with cushion and seat bag I also purchased from JP Marine) when I have more than two passengers I chose to not use the rear bench and puchased two Swivel-Eze base mount aluminum adjustable seat pedestals and Tempress folding boat seats. I used stainless steel hardware to mount the pedestals to the aluminum floor panels. Each pedestal uses 6 bolts and with my 225 lbs. doesn't move at all. I also added the required rod holders for my many hours I will spend trout fishing on the river.

As for the motor. I will let you know that I started with the desire to operate with my 15HP Merc and although the boat only weighs 167 LB. the added lenght and weight versus my old 10',2" Zodiac the motor strained to to go over 15 MPH and has to be run at full throttle all of the time to stay on plane. Fortunaltly for me I was able to get one heck of a deal on a new, in the crate Yamaha 25HP, 2-stroke outboard. This motor is AWESOME! It jumps out of the hole and gets on plane quickly. It really gives me the low end torque and top end speed that I want for this boat and at only 104 LB. I can remove and store it. The new 4-stoke engines weigh over 150 LB. and are beasts to carry.

I am considering Smart Tabs to assist in getting the boat on plane fastest when carrying the family but hope that they too can assist in providing added stability and ride control at higher speeds. I contacted Naticus and they said that they will improve the ride and stability but would like to hear from others that use these trim tabs for their first-hand knowledge on their effect on ride control and stability. If others feel that the hydrofoil that attaches to the anticavitation plate is better for ride stability please chime in!

So without further ado, here are the pics...

Welcome to the forum, this is a nice place with nice people good advice:redface:.

I LOVE YOUR BOAT, I wanted one of these in red, not the brand, but those rescue boats as they seem so durable. I especially love those cool seats, did you Bass up your boat with those seats? Nice nice boat, congrats. How much was it?

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks nice, i have been looking at this trailer and I wasn't so sure if i can convert it to carry my inflatable. Great to see someone did it :)

Here is a cheaper one but exactly the same, probably lower weight capacity though, but good for me. I will never exceed that anyway.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...tility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

WOW, you all got it sweet over there, those trailers are so expensive here :(

zodiac340m

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your boat is excellent, it is now in my wish list, i'm going to buy one soon. Can you please tell me where to buy those seats and how to mod it. Thanks

I'm new in this field, please anyone can tell me this boat can go safely in coastal area.

I am no expert, but welcome to the forum. But I am purchasing a smaller boat and i can take it easily on sheltered coastal areas. Nice boat isnt it? I love the red especially.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up a 12.5' from JPMarine too in December. My tubes are only 17" though. It was an EBAY bid for 1800.00 and other than the color it appears to be just like yours .

ZIZON

Seaman

I picked up a 12.5' from JPMarine too in December. My tubes are only 17" though. It was an EBAY bid for 1800.00 and other than the color it appears to be just like yours .

Please show me its picture, do you have its picture at sea? I have just won a bid on ebay with 12.5' from JPMarine too but difference colour. Thanks

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please show me its picture, do you have its picture at sea? I have just won a bid on ebay with 12.5' from JPMarine too but difference colour. Thanks

Here's my original post (with pics) few weeks ago.. It's still set up in the living room, we are deep in winter up here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456967&p=3084064#post3084064

I have a "set" of pictures on my Flickr account I will be updating as I get it out on Lake Superior. http://www.flickr.com/photos/railroadweasel/sets/72157625750055744/

ZIZON

Seaman

Wow thank you for the pics. My boat colour as same as your. I'm thinking to set it up with a DIY bimini top and seats.

ajrunke

Seaman Apprentice

I'm bumping this thread because I just recently purchased a JP Marine 14' patrol series with the slightly thicker 1.5mm tubes. How have your JP boats held up? They seem to be of higher quality than other Korean made boats. I just hope I made the right decision. I suppose this bump was more for self assurance than anything. I will post some pics once I receive it which will hopefully be this Friday. And to the OP, I love those seats. I was thinking about doing the same thing. It's nice to see that someone else has done it. How have the seats held up bolted into the aluminum floor?

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are a few members with "new" JP Marine SIBS on this forum and they seem satisfied. Mine has been totally air/water tight and is primarily being used in Lake Superior.

Johnny Knoxville

Seaman Apprentice

Nice looking rigs there gents. Will the trailer stand up to long road trips or is it more for local short trips? How much would you guess the trailer weighs. The folding aspect is nice.

prosail1

Recruit

I just bought the 17.5 footer and will be mounting a new Yamaha 50 two stroke with a steering console. Picking the boat up this weekend and taking it back to Texas. As soon as I have it all rigged up, I'll post pictures.

Skoorb

Recruit

I've been looking at the JP Marine Patrol series and just found this thread. I was wondering if any of you have more time on your boats now and what you think of the build quality?