My motor is submerged! What should i DO?

bozza_boatie

Seaman
I rebuilt my johnson 4hp about 6 months ago, it ran great and it felt fantastic cause it took me 2 years to rebuild.

Know here is the problem. As those around Sydney Australia may know, The central cost has been hit with a major storm. My outboard is stored in my shed, near a saltwater creek which has flooded.

I have been told by some neighbours that the shed is underwater. I am planning on taking a drive up tomorow to salvage my motor. I have a manual but I just wont to ask a few more questions.

Should I try start the motor up after i rinse it ?
Or should i totally pull it apart and clean every piece?

Not sure if it is still underwater or if the water has receded.
Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iwombat

Captain
Re: My motor is submerged! What should i DO?

You want to get it running as soon as it's out of the water. If you can't get to it for a bit, dunk it under fresh water and keep it there until you're ready to tackle it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Yup, flush it thoroughly with fresh water. If sediment got in it, you'll have to disassemble it. If it's in saltwater for more than a few days, it might not be savable.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Of course you stored the motor upright, yes? If so, maybe by "flooded" your neighbor merely meant the floor of the shed was underwater. Hopefully you'll get lucky and the lower unit will be the only thing that got wet... Good luck!
- Scott

bozza_boatie

Seaman

Thanks guys for these quick replys, Ill try flush it out and start it,but hopefully the powerhead isnt underwater. It is a long shaft so I think the water would have to be about 65cm (about 25 inches for you Americans) above the ground, I am really hoping it isnt but I will be prepared for anything.