My misadventure on the river.

Tyme2fish

Commander
I try to be proactive in the care of my boat and equipment. Wednesday, I changed out the plugs on my motor,checked the tire pressure on the trailer, and greased up my bearings.Batteries were fully charged. Everything is ready for today.

This morning, I hooked up the muffs and started the motor to ensure that all was well. It was.

Launched from New Albany,IN and we went to the "falls" down river to catch some bait. I made a perfect circle cast with the net... but the loop slipped off my skinny wrist and there I watched as my castnet and rope sank.
frown.gif

I got out my cat rod and started trolling the bottom to recover my net.
After about 20 attempts I snagged it and recovered the net. That was the only positive of the day.

While attempting to recover the net, the motor died. When Knute (my fishing partner) tried to start it, I could smell something electrical burning. I don't know why, but the starter was hot. I mean real hot.

I then lowered the trolling motor to get us back to the ramp. I guess my batteries have lost their "punch" because the trolling motor was getting us nowhere fast. Finally, the trolling motor ran out of juice. I get out my two paddles and we were now trying to paddle upriver. That's when Knute broke my old,cheap, plastic paddle. We were down the creek with only one paddle!!

We finally get to within 50 yards of the ramp and a fellow boater gave us a tow those last few yards. I recover the boat with no problems and called it a day and slunk my way back home.

I did snag the butt end of a two piece rod while trying to retrieve my castnet. It had an old Zebco reel on it and looked like it had been in the river for years.

I hope Friday is a better day.
eek.gif

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My misadventure on the river.

At least you were up a river(creek) with only 1 paddle :eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Better than being up the creek without a paddle :D
Seriously though I hope you get everything sorted out.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

<J_M smiles and looks out the window at the 6hp Johnson kicker sittin' right next to his trusty ole 65hp Johnny.>

???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Awwwww. Some days you are the windshield, some days you are the bug.

Hope your outboard is easy to fix.

gonefishie

Commander

Sounds like a real crappy day. How is the big O? The White in my neck of the woods has no current and looking like an aquarium.

Exactly where is the falls anyway? Hope you got everything straight away.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have your net, boat, friend, life, a rusty old zebco reel, a funny story, and a day you can gauge other days of boating on. Not a total loss.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Update: Just ordered the starter/selonoid assembly today. With the help of a friend, will remove same and install replacement next week. (I hope)

heycods

Captain

get a yammie, and take a half hitch with the net cord. You forgot to say whether the net had any bait?????? :)

Tyme2fish

Commander

Update: Starter went out on a Thursday. I ordered the replacement starter on Monday and received it on Wednesday via UPS. Replaced starter on Thursday, so it only took a week to be back up and running.:D

No bait in the castnet.;)

PS. The old starter was one burned up unit. Bits and pieces were falling out when I took it apart after removing from motor.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

good thing you were not up Chit Creek!:D

Tyme2fish

Commander

good thing you were not up Chit Creek!:D

LOL I wasn't up that creek, I was down it and trying to get up river against the current.
Interesting though, the next day, I believe, Lousvillle Metro Sewage released over 4 million gallons of untreated sewage into the river due to some gate being left open.