My Merc 470 rebuild

sasto

Captain
Re: My Merc 470 rebuildi

P.S. Sasto, im taking u out for a fishing trip once this is done!! NO EXCUSES (on your end)!! If your ever passing through or around Flagler Beach FL, please give me a shout. Come by for a dip in the pool and a bbq!

QUOTE]

Thanks Alex, I will gladly take you up on the offer. I'll give you a heads up if I head north for that pool and BBQ.

Keep up on the good work your doing. I'm learning a thing or two!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

water can easuly back into the exhaust manifold then into the cylinders, if water pressure is too high..

Well not really. Under normal conditions there would be no water flow unless the engine is running, and if it is running the exhaust flow would keep the water out.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well not really. Under normal conditions there would be no water flow unless the engine is running, and if it is running the exhaust flow would keep the water out.

Yes for sure, in my case the engine was not running but water was still flowing at a high pressure into the exchanger. I should have explained better.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alex, I am not able to access

Sorry about that, it was set to private. I just made it public.

It may sound weird because it was taken on a phone and there was no raw water running at the time to muff out the noise.

I dont care what anyone has to say bad about these 470's. They are VERY powerful and not bad on gas. I love these engines. If mantained right and if the owner addresses all the known issues, it will last longer then basically any car engine i can think of.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I dont care what anyone has to say bad about these 470's. They are VERY powerful and not bad on gas. I love these engines. If mantained right and if the owner addresses all the known issues

Ditto:D. Pulled mine for the winter yesterday. Removed one little plug on the exchanger and freeze protection done. Less than 3 minutes, right on the launch ramp, no messing around with AF or block and manifold plugs. Now THAT is easy winterization ;).

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the saga continues.. One of the engines has passed all tests and has been broken in. Perfect condition.

The other engine has not, it seems no matter what we do water is getting into the oil. We have checked all seals and gaskets with no joy. Now it is down to a crack in the head or block... She stats a like a champ, but when warm, idles rough, then the milkshake appears in the oil pan.

So we have taken the head to our machinist to be pressure tested for any hairline cracks. Hopefully something is found there, we can replace the head with no problem. If its with the block thats a different story...

Oh well... it aint over till .. the overweight lady sings.. i guess

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alex;
Video looks great ! I read you finished the 2nd 470. good show !

Thanks!! this vid is the working engine (passed all tests), i will take another soon as we test her again with raw water. Will sound sooo much better and smoother...

Other engine still giving us issues...

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its been a little while since i updated my rebuild status.

One of the engine blocks ended up having a hairline crack somewhere causing water to get into the oil.. pretty bad eh.. Fortunately i have a couple 'spare' blocks in my garage, so now i am still waiting for the machnist to finish boring and polishing the other block to fit the new pistons. Definately a set back, but not a killer, we will still manage to get this thing done and working...
One engine is broken in and confirmed working all around.

I went ahead and ordered 2 'new' outdrives SE106's. $$$$ :redface:
I am in the process of getting 4 trim tilt cylinders from Ebay, since mine are all shot.

hole in the water..without even getting wet yet... :facepalm:

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

Yea i went ahead and bought a SE106 outdrive to replace my I-R outdrive on my 83 470 i live in Canada you live in florida so i won't be able to test the new outdrive because of winter but you can it would be nice if you can post when you get a chance to test drive the new outdrive and yes $$$$

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Merc 470 rebuild

I will definately update and get some pics/vids once its running.

On a side note, if anyone has some trim/tilt cylinders (i need 4 #98704&98703) in working order for sale for a reasonable price please PM me. All listings on Ebay are extremely pricey.

Thanks!!

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got just about everything i need.

This weekend will be the big one when we finally start installing the working engine back in the boat.. Oh man i hope it all goes well.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

To keep this updated for whoever is following:

Today was the day we were to begin installing the merc 470 back in the boat... Didnt quite work out as intended, and this is a good point to make... Be prepared for things to go wrong wherever there is that possibility.. on any boat...

I decided to change out the gimbal bearing and seal from the bell housing before installing the engines, this took longer then expected since the dam bearings were such a pain to get out, but eventually we got them out and installed new ones. I made a custom tool out of 2" PVC to push them in. To take them out we used an air hammer/chisel from the inside of the boat, since engines are still out it was accesable.

While installing the bearings, we needed the bell housing to be straight, they were turned to the left.. Then when I went to the steering wheel to turn them straight.. what do u know... its stuck... We were at a loss.. The dam steering is broken too!! So we went ahead and removed the power steering from the steering cable system. Still stuck. The cylindar is stuck so bad that even banging with a hammer didnt budge it one milimeter. Fortunately the power steering cylindar moves freely and seems to be in working order...

So we ended up moving the outdrive housing straight with a 2x4 (after completely removing the steering from it), while we did that we also found absolutely no grease in the bell housing for movement.. Basically whoever owned this boat before us never did anything to maintain it.. makes me upset how people are so careless with such things...
After all this we managed to install the bearings with ease...

Well, the perfectly nice, working and newly rebuilt engines are still sitting on stands in my garage until we work out the steering issues. We have the steering cable cylindar soaking in kerosine, and i will pray before bed tonight that this helps free it :)

I think i have my new signature ready: "Whatever CAN go wrong, WILL.. expect that!"

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks so much :)

I know this has already gotten into page 6.. And may be a bit much for some to read entirely through. I have various other threads with other problems i have encountered, not directly related to the Merc 470's but more boat related stuff.

Its an ongoing project. And we have now classified this as a project boat.

What weve done so far:
Rebuilt Trailer with new axels, Rebuilt engines with all upgrades, replaced steering line, purchased new outdrives, replaced all bearings including gimbal.

Things to do:
Install Engines, Install Outdrives, Re-Do Kitchen (pops is a kitchen maker for life), add new seats (captn-passenger), add cool electronics, Patch up boat, Paint Boat. Cruise!!!

Im sure im missing stufff.....

sr.v

Recruit

Here is one solution to repair the cam grooves. In my case the cam diameter was 22,14mm , so there is no speedi sleeve for that diameter (99087 axle must be at least 22,18mm). I take some chronium shaft , outerdiam. 25mm and turn hole on a lathe to 22,15mm. Then i cut it to 30mm lenght. I warm it to 100 celsius and ad some loctite to shaft and put the chronium part over the camshaft. Then i must turn one aluminium part to timingcover so that the casket (out.diam 35mm) will fit timingcovers hole 38,10mm (1,5 inches). I ad some loctite to cover and put aluminium fitting to cover. Casket is 25mmx35mmx7mm.Here are some photos.
pieni 0.jpgpieni 1.jpgpieni 2.jpgpieni 3.jpg

sr.v

Recruit

Here is one solution to repair the cam grooves. In my case the cam diameter was 22,14mm , so there is no speedi sleeve for that diameter (99087 axle must be at least 22,18mm). I take some chronium shaft , outerdiam. 25mm and turn hole on a lathe to 22,15mm. Then i cut it to 30mm lenght. I warm it to 100 celsius and ad some loctite to shaft and put the chronium part over the camshaft. Then i must turn one aluminium part to timingcover so that the casket (out.diam 35mm) will fit timingcovers hole 38,10mm (1,5 inches). I ad some loctite to cover and put aluminium fitting to cover. Casket is 25mmx35mmx7mm.Here are some photos.
View attachment 124816View attachment 124817View attachment 124818View attachment 124819

Uuups the chronium axles inner diam. should be 22,12mm

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

After a ton of prep work we finally got one engine installed back in the boat with success!! YAY!!!! Makes us feel so much closer to having her running.

Still have one engine to assemble, test and break in. Then we will get that one installed... Weve already done this a few times, so the guess work is gone and it will be much quicker this time around.

After that we will have a ton of wiring and stuff to take care of, install the outdrives, test, test, test, test... then on to the cosmetics...

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't manage to fix the bad engine. After another complete rebuild and a block swap, same issue persists.

Out of frustration I ordered a new head.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick update to anyone who has been following:

Both engines are now succesfully rebuild and installed in the boat. (the new head fixed my problem with the second engine, my machinist was not reliable)
Did alignment and installed 2 new alpha 1 gen 1 outdrives. Also replaced gimbal bearings, oil seals and replaced all of the bellows (OUCH!!).. Also put in a new steering line...

Next i will install the trim cylindars and test the pumps, test electrical system on the boat, do minor patch work on the hull, clean, clean and clean... Then onto our maiden voyage.. we will launch at a ramp and test in the intracoastal...