My First StarCraft; 1975 18' SuperSport

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That splashwell looks great and you are doing some very nice work here. Thanks for keeping your thread so well organized, it's really helpful.

Thanks bchaney! Glad you're able to find my exploits and ramblings useful! :lol:

Hey CC, got a question. Now that the splashwell is in the boat on schedule, won't you be tripping over it? LOL

Ya got some great work done! We've seen cut down splashwells before, but the shortened bow support is a first, I believe. Good job again.

Thanks GaB!

The only thing that the SW blocking is the port sidepanel ...and the way these SSs go back together, the sidepanel is best installed after the splashwell is installed. :thumb:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think with all of this aluminum work, a boat fabrication center is going to appear. I foresee a 22+ foot aluminum boat project a Classic Cat craft?

Nice work. I like the efforts being made to make things stronger on your boat.

classiccat

I think with all of this aluminum work, a boat fabrication center is going to appear. I foresee a 22+ foot aluminum boat project a Classic Cat craft?

Nice work. I like the efforts being made to make things stronger on your boat.

:lol: 22 footer...we're gonna need a bigger hanger! Thanks for the encouragement DH!! :yo:

classiccat

Bow support is going to be able to support again.
lNKBuMf.jpg

forward console panels cut to size, upsized holes filled with epoxy plugs.
sULawyn.jpg

glassed and ready for sanding, epoxy primer and topcoats.
d2C81ay.jpg

Using the modified "Dozer Method" for the bow-deck cut-out.
ayP5XFf.jpg

^ main difference here is I used 2" resolution and straight lines for better alignment.

mUcQXe8.jpg

after a final touch-up with the belt sander, she fits pretty well:
ybummwr.jpg

forward most bow piece measuring was tricky:
wSYGvZn.jpg

rough "V" cutout until I get the bow support fastened to the deck:
9xrLym2.jpg

classiccat

Things were rollin' along at a pretty good clip... until I hit a 30# bow design roadblock called a Richter anchor and 5/16" chain. :lol:

M4hFfgQ.jpg

If you fish big rivers, this bad boy is worth the design headaches. The main issue is it's that it's a bull in a china shop and will make mince-meat out a fancy locker/hatches, etc.

So after alot of back-n-forth, I'm also going to design a removable anchor locker for the richter...so I can hose out the swamp of river mud that it collects :lol: My danforth anchors will fit under the bow plate.

Here's the concept (I'll fab a custom box/lid...several ideas on the drawing board):
AUWlm9J.jpg

0kF70T9.jpg

again, the plastic bin is for illustrative purposes :lol:
9MwSmzk.jpg

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
coming together nicely! I really like the layout process and thought going into the bow deck.

Decker83

Commander
The bow is looking great. I really like how you cut down the bow support to gain more room..
I wish you had done this about 2 weeks ago so I could have copied your ideal.. I just may
start over on mine. Though I really don't want to waste all the vinly and time starting over..

classiccat

coming together nicely! I really like the layout process and thought going into the bow deck.

Thanks Astor! Yeah it was one of the areas that I couldn't get set in my mind and pre-plan. So many options and a balance between fishing utility and the lounge spot for the girls when we're out joy riding. I think this modified bow rider layout is a nice compromise.

The bow is looking great. I really like how you cut down the bow support to gain more room..
I wish you had done this about 2 weeks ago so I could have copied your ideal.. I just may
start over on mine. Though I really don't want to waste all the vinly and time starting over..

Thanks Decker!

If you do decide to tear into it, maybe wait a week or 2 for the structural work :)

I added this "Z bracket" which serves several purposes: 1) join the 2 sections 2) carry load down to the ribs and 3) I'm going bridge/brace the bow "U" support with the new "Z" support similar to the way I did the deck sections. (I'm using 3/4" PLY however I still feel some play in that area of the deck.)

nlteLUd.jpg

Other updates while I'm here :)

Splashwell is installed (ladder-ville from here on out!). I used n-butyl tape to seal against the transom wood and solid 3/6" rivets for all of the connections.
66rxDa4.jpg

Side panels and forward console panels primed with Interlux Prekote after the epoxy plugs were drilled out.
Hj6Kn9i.jpg

QqHV2Ks.jpg

^^^ since this was taken, I laid down the 1st topcoat last night (no pics)

classiccat

With no paint drying pics, it didn't happen! :rofl:

Don't drop that anchor on a toe!

Haha...yeah that would put a damper on a fishing trip! :eek:

Man...you're worse than the guys on the Wheel Horse forum with paint-dryin' pics :lol:

The admiral requested a little splash of color and I just so happened to have a quart of Perfection Rochelle Red leftover from the tractor project (ended up using rustoleum tractor implement paint on the Wheel Horse).

Coat #2 of 3 of Perfection:
5VIHUfN.jpg

^^^ pretty good match to the red on the Blastoff Seats. :thumb:

I've been having a struggle with roll-n-roll on this color paint ...even with the good Red Tree foam rollers i'm getting crazy bubbles like i've never seen before. Grabbed the tippin' brush and smooths that paint right out.

So Perfection:
- Platinum Grey: Tip-n-Roll
- Offwhite: Roll-n-roll
- Rochelle Red: Tip-n-Roll

:noidea: :lol:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow! you've been busy since I was away visiting family in fly over country.

Do you think you're going to be on the water before end of season rolls in, it's getting close?

classiccat

Much better! Even changed from blah to RED!

LOL

Yeah man...Business-Grey in the front and Party-Red in the back!

rate_my_mulletashx.jpg

:lol:

Wow! you've been busy since I was away visiting family in fly over country.

Do you think you're going to be on the water before end of season rolls in, it's getting close?

My projections say "no" however I built-in some fat for October. :lol:

Keeping a pretty steady pace working 2-3 hrs every evening...we'll see!

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice bright red, let me tell yah, that reminds me of Rudolph red, or radiation red. Note: all the better at hiding the fish blood.

The Cats Meoullet - Budness in the front, party in the back.

Yeah, get that thing in the water will yah! I want to be the longest running boat project on this here forum. :lol:

Seriously, the boat looks great. Nice progress.

classiccat

Yeah, get that thing in the water will yah! I want to be the longest running boat project on this here forum. :lol:

Now I understand why you keep throw pillows in your posh bow deck :lol:

Quick update....I may have gotten a little carried away beefing-up the bow support...it was literally like straightening a crushed soda can.
sex3O3o.jpg

GroMs1N.jpg

^^^ I've since sealed, epoxy-primed and the 1st topcoat is drying (sorry, no pics GA_Boater :lol:)

For the bow-deck design, the forward-most hatch is for a house deep-cycle battery...that's easy ...straight and centered.
li3P8MJ.jpg

^^ I've added a 10-degree tilt to the side-leg hatches relative to the console panels.

tempress hatches dropped-in.
3SNl80e.jpg

One more coat of paint on the bow support before installing...once anchored to the deck, I'll be able to finalize the deck plug locations... I'll be shopping for a trolling motor in no-time!

classiccat

a few tipping-brush tricks that I forgot to mention. made my tipping 100% better (that's really not saying much :lol:).

I tip better when the brush is lighly damp with solvent (2333N) and free of paint build-up. So I periodically dip it in solvent then spin-off the excess using a drill while inserted in a 1qt mixing pot. The redtree tipping brush handles conveniently fit a 1/2" chuck:
5U4xAVz.jpg

I've also started cleaning in laundry detergent/water after the solvent clean. It seems to keep the bristles super soft and it solved my particulate problem that I was having over the summer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hope that spinning device doesn't have a hair trigger. My luck is looking all red freckled. LOL

classiccat

Good lord that bow deck support is looking Franken-cool and darn stout!

Thanks Agua! This thing was roached... creases and stress cracks galore...a normal person would build a new one from scratch :lol: :nerd:

I hope that spinning device doesn't have a hair trigger. My luck is looking all red freckled. LOL

Makita, variable speed. the round handles on those redtree brushes are invaluable for quick cleaning during a paint session. :thumb:

speaking of painting, finally got around to painting the exterior.

After cleaning the aluminum and sanding with 60grit, threw down 2 coats of interprotect a few hours apart:
z8FhLYM.jpg

1PRHGAI.jpg

Then got 2 coats of epoxy primer down the next day after a light sanding of the interprotect. There is a time window between these 2 products.
GMxTacx.jpg

Once the epoxy primer is down, the rush is off for the finish coats.

The topcoat paint during the 20min induction period.
EdyH2Uf.jpg

With my tipping brush being cleaned/treated like I said earlier, I don't need any thinner @ 65 degree hanger temps. The brush marks are staying super fine and flowing right out.

I tip in 2 passes, 1 diagonal followed by tipping from top-to-bottom.

When I tipped from bottom-to-top, the stupid lapstrakes would catch and i'd getting little runs on them.

xcfZ5k5.jpg

q3C2HrK.jpg

^^^ I'm thinking about adding a tape stripe here mainly as a barrier for when I repolish down the road.

Pretty enjoyable process...except for having to pull the tape while it's just setting up (~ 1 hr) & retape prior to each subsequent coat.

Last edited:

classiccat

Now back to bow-work.

Console panels painted with Platinum perfection on the outside (rochelle red on the inside to match the side panels) and riveted in place with LF bliinds.
ZjWKkut.jpg

Epoxy plugs formed in the main deck for the bow support...once they cured, I riveted to the deck and console panel:
EHgfJhV.jpg

^^^ once it's secure, the angle pieces can be riveted at the proper height using a "dummy" board.

Holes for the epoxy plugs were drilled last night.
pRsVjgh.jpg

^^^ there's alot going on here. I'll be framing out the hatch cutouts with homemade u-channel. Sections of the u-channel that aren't directly under the hatch holes will get embedded rivets...hence the larger plugs to accommodate the entire rivet head. All other holes are just clearance for either 3/16" blinds or the 1/4-20 pedestal mounts.

Undersides taped:
7BjKqU6.jpg

i fill the holes by dumping the epoxy/filler mixture into a plastic bag and make a tiny incision in the corner. Insert the opening at the bottom of the hole and squeeze working the bag out of the hole as it fills:
6xOXOGk.jpg

just finished putting the primer-coat of epoxy down on the backside:
rDezDLA.jpg