My first boat (project)

Ty (SKEET)

Cadet
Since I was 12 years old I've always wanted a boat my father at that age had a 36-foot owen that we lived on while we scraped painted and primed and sealed the bottom of it to put it in the water here it is I'm 40 and I just picked up a 1959 Whitehouse Apache and I cannot find any information online about it so my question then becomes to this forum can you find diagrams and or pictures of the Mechanicals of this boat or any information would be helpful and needed thank you

southkogs

Staff member
That's a little fiberglass runabout, correct?

The answer to the question is probably not. If it's a larger boat than I'm thinking it is, then there might be something from the yacht maker, but if it's the trailer boat I think it is - then the chances are slim and closer to none.

You can find shop manuals for the motor, but the boat is gonna' be your best guess and asking here on the forums.

Welcome aboard.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Whitehousebb001.jpg

Not much, but a little

From here

Ty (SKEET)

Cadet
That's a little fiberglass runabout, correct?

The answer to the question is probably not. If it's a larger boat than I'm thinking it is, then there might be something from the yacht maker, but if it's the trailer boat I think it is - then the chances are slim and closer to none.

You can find shop manuals for the motor, but the boat is gonna' be your best guess and asking here on the forums.

Welcome aboard.
It's a small trailer boat only 14 ft

southkogs

Staff member
What you're seeing in JB's post is a listing of boats manufactured by Whitehouse by year with some specs.

There's not going to be a manual for your boat. You're going to have to work based on what information you can get here on the forums and photographs you can find (if any).

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The good news is that most boat manuals are pretty worthless, anyway. The place to start is to post some pictures of your boat, along with details like what sort of propulsion (outboard vs. I/O, for example) it has.

Ty (SKEET)

Cadet
The good news is that most boat manuals are pretty worthless, anyway. The place to start is to post some pictures of your boat, along with details like what sort of propulsion (outboard vs. I/O, for example) it has.
It has a 18hp johnson outboard

Attachments

• 20201020_104154.jpg
    20201020_104154.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201020_104206.jpg
    20201020_104206.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201020_104218_HDR.jpg
    20201020_104218_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201020_104222.jpg
    20201020_104222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20201020_104231_HDR.jpg
    20201020_104231_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201020_104250.jpg
    20201020_104250.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 20201020_104147_HDR.jpg
    20201020_104147_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

briangcc

Commander
Neat little boat.

Controls are very familiar. IF I recall correctly the red lever controlled F-N-R and the large black lever was the throttle. The push buttons on the dash were for start and probably an electric choke.

**This is going off my memory of my family's '56 MFG with matching 30HP Evinrude Big Twin.

Total guess on my part....could be a large sheet of white styrofoam under the bow of the boat for floatation. I'd also check the transom as going off appearances only, you're probably looking at replacing it.

Ty (SKEET)

Cadet
Neat little boat.

Controls are very familiar. IF I recall correctly the red lever controlled F-N-R and the large black lever was the throttle. The push buttons on the dash were for start and probably an electric choke.

**This is going off my memory of my family's '56 MFG with matching 30HP Evinrude Big Twin.

Total guess on my part....could be a large sheet of white styrofoam under the bow of the boat for floatation. I'd also check the transom as going off appearances only, you're probably looking at replacing it.
Being at this is my first boat I don't know what FRN is and as far as the transom goes yes I'm going to be doing some work to it it will not be replaced I am going to sister it was diamond plate stainless steel and cap the top with sheet metal
Cool little boat! You definitely have a project on your hands...
Yes I do but it's going to be a good first boat

Ty (SKEET)

Cadet
F-N-R stands for Forward-Neutral-Reverse
Thank you I don't understand why I over looked that part of it as soon as I read your response the light went off with this big of a project I guess I'm ahead of myself but thank you again

jbcurt00

Staff member
As far as the transom goes yes I'm going to be doing some work to it it will not be replaced I am going to sister it was diamond plate stainless steel and cap the top with sheet metal
Not a good (or safe plan)

If the transom is suspect and you think it requires a band-aid plate w metal, the transom NEEDS to be replaced. If it does, the deck (floor) and the stringers (floor joists) that support it probably need attention too. This could be a life safety problem, not a minor problem.

Anyone that boards your boat expects that as captain/owner you have done evwrything in your power to ensure the boat is sound and safe. A band-aid plate(s) accomplishes neither.

Boats are expensive and not inexpensive to redo or maintain.

Be safe, boat & rehab safely

Ty (SKEET)

Cadet
Not a good (or safe plan)

If the transom is suspect and you think it requires a band-aid plate w metal, the transom NEEDS to be replaced. If it does, the deck (floor) and the stringers (floor joists) that support it probably need attention too. This could be a life safety problem, not a minor problem.

Anyone that boards your boat expects that as captain/owner you have done evwrything in your power to ensure the boat is sound and safe. A band-aid plate(s) accomplishes neither.

Boats are expensive and not inexpensive to redo or maintain.

Be safe, boat & rehab safely
Thank you for the advice (tip) I will look into the replacement of the transom