My first Boat and Im restoring it...

Limecooler

Recruit
Hello,

I am a first time boater and first time restorer of boats. I have restored several cars in the past and now Im moving from tires to props. I am going to restore an early 70's SeaStar Bowrider with a 40hp Evinrude Outboard. I have been researching boat parts and supplies now for a few weeks. I have a few questions. How can I tell if the engine is ok. I know the boat sat in the same spot 15yrs and wasnt ran once for at least 17yrs. How can I check the hull for cracks and if i find cracks can they be fixed? See attached pics. You will understand the help I am going to need. Thank you for your time Everyone.

Attachments

• phone 512.jpg
    phone 512.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
  • phone 514.jpg
    phone 514.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0
  • phone 535.jpg
    phone 535.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • phone 571.jpg
    phone 571.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 0

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My first Boat and Im restoring it...

As long as there wasn't water in the motor when it was "stored" you might be OK.
There is a very informative thread on here about just that question "How can I tell if the engine is ok." http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Checking and fixing cracks is also on here.

A good visual inspection of the hull will tell you if there are any obvious cracks to deal with, removal of the old interior will assist you in ascertaining whether there are any cracks in the deck and how much damage has been sustained during the 15 years of "storage".
Also, testing the transom by drilling small test hole part way into the transom at or near the bottom from the inside. If you get solid wood, your good, if you get mush, you need to replace the transom.

mark1961

Ensign

How can I tell if the engine is ok. I know the boat sat in the same spot 15yrs and wasnt ran once for at least 17yrs.

You will be REAL fortunate if that engine hasnt frozen up completely after 17 years unused, not worth the effort if it is.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont pay more than an hundred bucks for it. yes trailer and all. read the stickies about waking a sleeping outboard. Parts are still available for it if you look in the right place. dont expect to get out for less than 2 or 3 grand. if you do it right. good luck and get ready to itch!!!!!!!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well she will certainly need a complete refit but it looks like a simple hull to work on. Nice little boat though. Good luck with it.