My First Boat, 1972 Starcraft Nova 16' Johnson 85HP

JLMEMT

Cadet
I just obtained a 1972 Starcraft Nova. Unfortunately I am having engine problems and so I'm not so proud of it at the moment. I posted that in the Johnson section.
The paint is pretty rough and had been poorly redone and there are some other issues that need some work as well. But a friend gave it to me because he didn't have time to work on it anymore. It took a battery to get it running, but now it's not, and a few things to get it legal, but I got it very cheap overall. My wife had always said I couldn't buy a boat, but she decided I could be given a boat. I'm starting to think it probably would have been cheaper to buy one. lol

Jason

Attachments

• PXL_20220703_205657393.jpg
    PXL_20220703_205657393.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Welcome to the Starmada!

We've had a few Novas restored here in the group...@MNhunter1 completed a 15' O/B Nova a few years back if you need a little motivation! One of my favorite boats with the trademark single recessed stripe, no faux lapstrakes and the red/white/blue starcraft emblem.

Good luck with the old Johnny! Is it the electric-shift model?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard,

Yeah nothing that floats, rolls of flies are without cost but sweat equity makes for a much less expensive boat.

Very cool boats indeed and worthy of some love. Takes some money yes but mostly dedication and drive to get one of these boats from trash to treasure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That looks like a 1973 model.----First year of " Powershift II " ------But not an electric shift.----And in my opinion there is nothing wrong with electric shift on 1969 to 1972 models

JLMEMT

Cadet
Thanks. I've looked around here a little since I first started to learn about it, that's why I posted.
The motor is definitely a 1972, but I just realized that the boat itself doesn't say so I assumed that part I guess. Just looked and they titled it as an unknown year. It is a hydroelectric drive.

MNhunter1

Ensign
The Nova is a very unique aluminum runabout. Great boats with great character. Feel free to reach out with any questions. I went over every square inch of my '72 15ft'r and did a ton of research on the Nova model.

Nova1.jpgNova2.jpgNova3.jpg

JLMEMT

Cadet
Thanks so much. Once I get it running and try to decide what to do with it I will probably definitely have some questions.
I forgot to mention that it is a 16'.
I thought the windshield didn't look quite right. After looking at these pictures I suspect that they found a windshield from a 15' and put it on the 16'.

I'll have to get some more pictures of it.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Welcome! Nova’s are really cool with that curved glass, gives it a much more modern, sleek look. Looking forward to more pics and what you decide to do with her!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a model # on the motor ?-----Pictures of motor power head with cowling off ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed it is a 72-----Very good lower unit on them.-----Often have ignition issues with them.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I've always thought the HydroElectric Shift system was one of the best made. Clutch Dogs lasted forever, as there was never any 'Easing' it in or out of gear. It shifted like Right Now!

JLMEMT

Cadet
Agreed it is a 72-----Very good lower unit on them.-----Often have ignition issues with them.
It's there anything to be done?
Or it's just frequent issues?
I'm doing what I can, but it seems like the new amps are probably very weak/ easy to damage.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When you get a New to You engine, always replace the Water Pump Impeller, inspect the Pump Housing and Bottom Plate, and the gear Oil. Your unit requires what was called Type C, later called Premium by BRP. There are some 3rd, Party Type C oils, but beware, not all of them are compatible with Electric Shifting cases.
I don't know if you are aware that your engine defaults to Forward Gear, any time the engine isn't turning. Dirt and Water are Fatal to these gearcases.

JLMEMT

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I don't know much yet. First boat and other than one old tractor this is the only thing this old I've worked on.
My mother in law eventually sold that tractor and she said "you're the only one that can ever get it to run." I do enjoy not having to work on the new one everytime I want to use it.

JLMEMT

Cadet
I believe that I have it running, hoping to get it out on the water today to make sure and hopefully get to actually use it.

Short version, the ignition system needed recovery from a lot of years of wear and neglect.

JLMEMT

Cadet
It is starting and stays running now. Don't appear to have full power and I think it is running rich, so now I need to dig in the fuel side and make sure that things are adjusted properly and see what else may be wrong.

JLMEMT

Cadet
Discovered that the slow speed adjustment screws were all the way in because they were loose. The problem I'm having is that the adjustment section in the manual has several options, but none match my motor. I wouldn't have found them, except they are labeled on the cover to the intake, , that if they are loose that the retainers need to be replaced. The new retainers do solve that problem, but are much thicker than the originals and I am suspecting that I may not be getting the screws in far enough now.

Last edited by a moderator: