My first Alum boat 73 16' SS

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK I have a million questions but the one i need answered quick is this.

Im building a trailer for this boat this weekend and need to know where is the best place to support this boat with bunks?

The crappy highlander trailer its on only supports the keel with keel rollers and 1 bunk right on the inside of the hull chine or what ever you call those 2 riveted ribs that run the length of the hull.

Plus the trailer tires sit under the boat by about a foot on each side.

I would keep searching cuz i know this has been asked before but the advanced search seems to be a little lacking. I can norrow my seach by forum make model or anything. Seems to be just the same as the general search.

Thanks

I LOVE THIS BOAT!!!!!

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: My first Alum boat 73 16' SS

When you say your building a trailer is that what you mean or are you trying to make that highlander work. Sounds to me like you'd be better off buying a used trailer with adjustable bunks. Most of the production trailers allow you to adjust the bunks to the boat. You could buy the brackets or make them but it would probably cost you more. I was going to build one last winter but it was cheaper to buy a good one new.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I mean I'm building the trailer....Well I build one already Its basically a boat trailer with out bunks. The one i have looks almost like this one
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2353.jpg
Sorry whom ever owns that trailer. I cant post pics yet.

The one in the photo looks like the one the boat is on now except the cross bars on min are straight. Its like they made a flat bottom boat trailer work for a mod V.

I just want to make sure I place the bunks in the right spot. SO far all I see have the bunks on the outside of the chines and rollers on the keel. Im thinking 2 bunks about 10" apart right up the middle and then the 2 on the outside of the chines. Also going to add some guide on bunks to the sides or poles for windy days.

Im building everything cuz I got nothing but time and plenty of material. LOL besides welding grinding and cutting metal with fire is great stress killer

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I mean I'm building the trailer....Well I build one already Its basically a boat trailer with out bunks. The one i have looks almost like this one
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2353.jpg
Sorry whom ever owns that trailer. I cant post pics yet.

The one in the photo looks like the one the boat is on now except the cross bars on min are straight. Its like they made a flat bottom boat trailer work for a mod V.

I just want to make sure I place the bunks in the right spot. SO far all I see have the bunks on the outside of the chines and rollers on the keel. Im thinking 2 bunks about 10" apart right up the middle and then the 2 on the outside of the chines. Also going to add some guide on bunks to the sides or poles for windy days.

You only need the two and make them out of 2x6. That's plenty of support. Keep them equal distance between the keel and chine if you can. If you can set it up so the outer edge is about an inch away from the nearest lifiting strake on each side. This will help you to line it up when your loading it.

Here's a pic of mine the bunk is right where the bottom hook is on the tie down. The boat has a reverse chine and a delta pad, the lifting strake is centered between the two so the bunk sits about an inch outside the lifting strake.

082011020.jpg

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Mr Jetcraft who did the graphics on the stern.? Look mighty nice.
You only need the two and make them out of 2x6. That's plenty of support. Keep them equal distance between the keel and chine if you can. If you can set it up so the outer edge is about an inch away from the nearest lifiting strake on each side. This will help you to line it up when your loading it.

Here's a pic of mine the bunk is right where the bottom hook is on the tie down. The boat has a reverse chine and a delta pad, the lifting strake is centered between the two so the bunk sits about an inch outside the lifting strake.

082011020.jpg

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ordered the graphics from iBoats. I think they were 50.00 with the shading and effects.