My elect choke connection is grounded?

ambush68

Cadet
Checking on why my eng wont start I find that the connection from the wiring harness to the elect coke connector is grounded. I had my carb rebuilt and now wont start I traced it to this point..

Any help would be appr...Thanks In Adv...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: My elect choke connection is grounded?

The choke solenoid is triggered by the wire that runs from the "C" terminal on the ignition switch (push to choke). How did you determine it is grounded -- which would be a short to ground, which would blow a fuse at the engine? If you measured resistance from the wire to ground you would read very low resistance since the solenoid coil is in the circuit If you disconnect that wire from the solenoid and then measure to ground it should show open circuit. If it still shows short circuit, disconnect the wire at the ignition switch and measure again. If it still shows short the wire is indeed shorted. If not, then the ignition switch is the likely culprit.

ambush68

Cadet

How did you determine it is grounded?

With the wire from the harness connected to the choke I put my test light on the connector and plus side of the battery and it lit showing that connection is grounded.

I also called the co. who did my rebuild and they are sending me a new choke solenoid... I think its missing a gasket that would insulate it from the choke body?

Thanks...

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put my test light on the connector and plus side of the battery and it lit showing that connection is grounded...

The light would work through the solenoid resistance ? ?