my boat was apparently made of mulch

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: my boat was apparently made of mulch

Well i wish you all the luck! You will come out with something worth more to you then money. It will become a piece of you. Keep those pictures coming!

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you expect anything to stick to the existing substrate, you have to get right down to bare fiberglass- remove the paint and glue.<br /> check out www.napierenvironmental.com they have several chemical strippers that do exactly that.Sure beats a lot of sanding and strips the substrate bare.Safe, efficient, non toxic , no fumes and doesan't burn your hands.

boat doc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boatdoc, the no ply approach is definitly a new one on me. i'm with crab bait on this one! after pouring foam, it just doesnt come out nice and smooth. i'm not to sure the fiberglass would stick to it either. seems like if everything didnt go right you would have a lot of expense and a huge mess on your hands. if the manufacturers do it now, i'd say they use a higher density foam for better support also.<br /><br />It is easy to get the foam smooth, all you have to do is run a hand saw accross the top, or use a grinder with a sanding disk on it. Its not like you have to get the foam perfectly flat to .01" tolerance or anything. I would assume that vegard is going to glass over the wood. When the sheets that he uses overlaps, after the glass dries, its not going to be smooth either. There is going to be little bumps and ridges all over. Once you lay carpet down though, your never going to be able to tell the differance. I will tell you guys what, I will find a list of boat builders that use glass only floors, and next time your at a boat show, check them out. This is not super new technoligy.<br /><br />BoatDoc, are you sure your not confusing the "no wood" floor with a composite flooring such a fiberglass skinned Divinycell? <br /><br />No, I am talking of your typical part A and B closed cell foam with fiberglass on top. I am not talking about arisol canned foam you get from the hardware store (that stuff is junk for this type of application) I am also talking about fiberglass......... be it chop, matt, biaxial, even roven. I think roven is junk unless you are looking for bulk, I think chop is a little better, but still not the best. I use the other two more often.

BillP

Captain

Are you saying mfgs are laying up a single skin so thick that other structure is not necessary? This type construction makes very heavy boats. Most I've seen have some sort of stiffening structure or core and thinner glass over them.

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

(I will tell you guys what, I will find a list of boat builders that use glass only floors) please do that! you will then make believer's out of all of us, and i will tell you i'm sorry for doubting it. :p