My boat sank

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure where to post this so i chose here. My 1999 Caravelle 176/volvo penta 3.0 sank while docked and not running.
still not sure how. the wife and kids were out on it while i was at work, docked it around 3pm and i got a call at 6am that it sunk.
now it is sitting at boat shop waiting for insurance adjuster to come look at it hopefully first thing monday morning. boat sank friday night.
question is what does insurance usually cover and what am i looking at to get it repaired? will post pics as soon as i can scan them. any help would be great, not knowing is killing me right now.....

Attachments

• boat sunk.jpg
    boat sunk.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 0

45Auto

Commander
Re: My boat sank

question is what does insurance usually cover

That depends on what insurance coverage you have - we can't tell you that.

Many insurance companies have an exclusion where they won't cover losses from neglected maintenance. For example, I believe the Mercruiser recommended bellows replacement interval is 5 years. If your boat sank because of a cracked bellows that's more than 5 years old, the insurance company may not be liable for any damages.

ok just wanted to make sure the obvious was out of the way first. And the pics don't work

TilliamWe

Banned

... If it submereged the engine and it wasn't dried or pickled immediately almost always means a replacement engine. ... If it wnet deeper than that then all the wiring becomes a real issue and if its not replaced completely you will have nothing but trouble in the future.

My gut says, for a 99 you will be looking at the insurance company calling it a total loss. :(

Yep, yep, and yep.

But as stated, we have no idea what your coverage is. I haven't seen the exclusion for neglected maintenance, but then again, the company I worked for had a GREAT boat policy. Maybe other companies have an exclusion like that. Hope you read and understand your policy.

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, yep, and yep.

But as stated, we have no idea what your coverage is. I haven't seen the exclusion for neglected maintenance, but then again, the company I worked for had a GREAT boat policy. Maybe other companies have an exclusion like that. Hope you read and understand your policy.
talked to insurance lady on phone and she just said adjuster will come out and decide if total or fix it . not totally sure on whats covered but i didnt buy the cheapest policy they had . also my car and house are on same policy with state farm..

yo man i feel so bad for you that looks like a brand new boat. good luck with what ever the outcome is. keep us updated on it so we know whats going on. sorry to here about your loss

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

yo man i feel so bad for you that looks like a brand new boat. good luck with what ever the outcome is. keep us updated on it so we know whats going on. sorry to here about your loss
the boat was in great shape for the age.. this is the second season i have owned. just hoping for the best out come, insurance covers it. this is the first insurance claim i have even had in 20 yrs of buying insurance for anything..

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

well here is the outcome of my sunken boat. insurance is going to cover it. my options are taking $5700 and its gone or pay my $250 deductible and they rebuild engine and make it like new.. think we are going to fix it, can't get same boat for that money and can't afford to add more money at this time..yes i'm going to get it in writing of everything they are going to do to fix it..

TomB985

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of warranty are they making for the repair? I'd be leery...I know in a car flood damage is considered irreparable in most cases. But boats aren't cars, and it's designed around a marine environment...

As long as they warrant the work I think you made a good choice. I'd rather a good running boat with a new engine than $5,700!

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is it in salt or brackish water? I'm just wondering about all that wiring under the console. (Oh, nevermind, you're in Indiana)

I'd look at this as a good thing. Free motor overhaul!

I'd still have all the wiring checked out.

And if your family's anything like mine, the kids did it. You will never find out exactly how.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Try to get them to replace all the wiring, gauges, electronics, etc.

I'm surprised they are giving you the choice, but if it all gets done right you will be good to go.

jeepnsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry to hear about your boat sinking..but I wonder how they're going to get the water out of the closed compartments where
the floatation foam is? drill, drain and patch?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Really should be no problem with wiring, even in salt, it's marine not a car.

And I don't know what boats have closed compartments, everything should drain as long as the assembly guys did their job. (a problem with older boats)

Good luck!