My boat sank, part II

kenny nunez

Captain
There will be water in the tilt motor. Easy to remove, the brush head is at the bottom so you want to open it up to dry out otherwise the springs will rust away. Good luck

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Great news

Pull the starter and alternator and pull them apart. Hose down with WD40. You can save them

Wring harness may have issues in a few years
Will do. I already had written them off. I have a spare harness that I won't be selling
Do you have insurance? That would be my first thought.
No. Wonder what I'd get for a 35 year boat that was probably less than $10k new?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
There will be water in the tilt motor. Easy to remove, the brush head is at the bottom so you want to open it up to dry out otherwise the springs will rust away. Good luck
Do I need to pull the hydraulic lines? I don't think I have it in me to flush the whole system in addition to everything else that needs done.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
@kenny nunez , good point

@nola mike , Pull the whole oildyne pump. Put on bench, take motor off pump, hose out with WD40

Easier than swapping a 470 for a V6

We can walk you thru flushing the tilt and trim lines snd cylinders

nola mike

Vice Admiral
@kenny nunez , good point

Easier than swapping a 470 for a V6

We can walk you thru flushing the tilt and trim lines snd cylinders
I know I can do it. No, I meant I'm running out of steam and want to drink some beer this weekend 😄
This has been pretty exhausting, and really short of replacing everything, it'll be suspect. Sucks that I just replaced/cleaned/fixed everything a year ago hoping to have something I wouldn't have to worry about. Got the boat out of the water, pulled the drive. Gross. Greased the u joints. Nothing to do with the gimbal bearing I guess. I think I'll hose everything down with fresh water and dry. Still this weekend need to run more, oil changes, pull starter and alternator and take apart. Long list. Also thinking the power steering might need some love too.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Do I need to pull the hydraulic lines? I don't think I have it in me to flush the whole system in addition to everything else that needs done.
I was surprised at what full insurance on my '89 cost - around $125 a year with a $500 deductible. I was even able to up the value when I swapped in the V6 and added GPS electric motor to bow.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When I did structural repairs to my F/W 15 years ago I got an agreed value policy for $10,500 which was the most they would give me. I took pix of all the work done and sent it to them. Premium is only about 400 a year and this is in Long Island NY where ins is expensive.
Plus on top of this I have an umbrella policy for the house, cars and boats. If you have assets this is highly advised because lawsuit awards in some cases can exceed the limit of your liability.

Last edited:

Pruno

Seaman
I was surprised at what full insurance on my '89 cost - around $125 a year with a $500 deductible. I was even able to up the value when I swapped in the V6 and added GPS electric motor to bow.
Care to share your company? I'm almost 3x that, same vintage boat. It's full coverage and covers the trailer, storage, and some towards towing and roadside.
Was going without insurance, and decided it was a good idea when I got stuck in reverse at the boat launch, doing circles backwards watching $ after $ wizz past the bow hoping I didn't hit anyone. The kids thought it was funny though... admiral wasn't impressed.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Care to share your company? I'm almost 3x that, same vintage boat. It's full coverage and covers the trailer, storage, and some towards towing and roadside.
Was going without insurance, and decided it was a good idea when I got stuck in reverse at the boat launch, doing circles backwards watching $ after $ wizz past the bow hoping I didn't hit anyone. The kids thought it was funny though... admiral wasn't impressed.
NEVER go without insurance, you don't realize what personal injury lawyers can do to you if you get sued. It will make your life miserable until the case is settled and if the jury makes a large award you will be SOL. Don't know how it is where you are but here in NY, that's how it is.

Pruno

Seaman
NEVER go without insurance, you don't realize what personal injury lawyers can do to you if you get sued. It will make your life miserable until the case is settled and if the jury makes a large award you will be SOL. Don't know how it is where you are but here in NY, that's how it is.
That is the major reason we have insurance now, to cover liability. The other reason is we were involved in a highway accident last fall while towing the boat (uninsured at the time). Other driver was at fault, but their insurance was blaming yet another vehicle for the accident and refusing to pay out in full. That's when I found out that insurance companies can assess their own percentage of liability (in NY anyway). In the end we made out ok, but it was a head ache. Would have been better to have an insurance company battle for me.

Rick Stephens

Admiral

Safeco. Of note, I keep the value down, lower than replacement cost now, but at the time I first purchased the policy it was what I had in it. I think it was $115 then. I kept the amounts the same and it went up to $125 this year.

Rick

Image.jpg

stormulus

Seaman Apprentice
I read a lot here and have read a lot of your posts, but I don't post much because I don't have the knowledge or experience that so many of you do. Anyways I hope you get your engine running well again.....you certainly have the right attitude. Best of luck to you!

As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say " It just goes to show you, It's always something"

IselaLuv

Cadet
Apparently my last post was removed because of profanity, though to be fair if there's ever a time to use profanity it's when your boat gets knocked off a lift, deposited on a jetty, and swamped, and then you get a speeding ticket returning from walmart. But we'll keep it civilized this go round. I did see everyone's responses prior to the takedown, so thank you for those.

My original post from last night:
"Had the last of hurricane Ida just blow through. My boat was high on the new lift. Unfortunately, the control box for the lift apparently got taken by the wind, one of the switches was turned on, and dumped the boat. Washed up on the shore, completely swamped. Just found it, it's high tide now. Nothing I can do. Going to wait till tide goes out in an hour or 2 and drain it. Then I'll have to wait for the tide to come back in before I can attempt to free it. Engine was completely under water (brackish). Fortunately, from what I can see the boat didn't take any structural damage (though that's a huge asterisk at this point). Any chance to salvage the engine? Next steps?"

The wind continued to blow today, and was blowing against the tide, so it was still very rough but the tide never came in enough to float the boat. So I'm going to wait for the next high tide tonight (midnight) to try to get it off the beach. Otherwise I'll start digging it out tomorrow.

I got back out there at 5am this morning, and was able to get the boat off the jetty and mostly bailed out and righted (the port side was about 1-2 feet higher on the jetty, and the starboard side was buried in the sand).

What I've done today so far:

1. Drained the "oil". I got about 2 gallons of first water, then oily water. Refilled (only took 2 qt), waited, and drained again. Very little water, and then clean oil.
2. Pulled plugs, pulled carb, sucked water out of the intake ports, put a couple of oz of 2 stroke oil into each port, turned engine by hand (easy), expelled water, repeated.
3. Finished draining boat. There was still a lot of water in there.
4. Removed dizzy cap and rotor, it was damp in there but not soaked. Probably going to replace the ignition sensor.
5. Wiring. Oy. All the fat positive connections burned off. Battery to starter, both ends of alt wire, the other pos alt wire, red/purple off the slave, red off my fuel pump relay. Cannon connector had corrosion on the red wire. I think that's it. Going to make it tough to get it started, which I won't have a chance to do until tomorrow afternoon. I have a spare helm wiring harness from the donor boat, and I have at least 3 engines sitting around with harnesses. I'll replace all that after I hopefully get it running.

I should have at least got the water out of the pots, oil in the cylinders, and clean oil in the bottom end. I'd like to at least turn it over a bit with the starter to get some oil to the valve train, but I'll do what I can.

Debating fixing enough wiring to turn it over tonight. Think I'll do that. I think I can remove the starter, there's limited access but I can reach the bolts. I'll replace that and the alt before we go back to prime time. I'll deal with the fuel system later. Will pull the drive and see how that's looking. Not sure I can do anything with the gimbal, it's permalube.

Warning: NSFW photos/video

View attachment 349035View attachment 349036View attachment 349037
Omg I’m speechless, my heart hurts to see these pics🥺💔