My Boat restoration pics, what do you think?

General0

Cadet
Hello,

I finally go to adding pics of my boat pre-demo! It's been torn down and unfortunately I don't have the after demo picks on here and it's now about 75% done (ie. stringers and transome wood have been removed and readded) as you can see.

I will keep the pictures updated as I do more but fear it's too cold to do any more fiberglassing at this time of year.

I have a few questions while I'm at this
1. Is the boat too far off the back of the trailer? I still have about a foot hanging and have about that much or more for room to adj up front.
2. I've replaced every piece of wood as it came out (used the old pieces as templates and measured 3 times!) does the rear bilge/ stringer section look ok? It has a raised floor and a piece that will be used as support on the transom side (not pictured yet).
3. the transom cap piece had a metal top section that won't fit back on there ( I built the transome 1/2 inch thicker) what should I do to replace this or not?

Right now everything is just in the test fit stage and I will do a really good sanding and then add one final layer of fiberglass to the stringers, transom, bilge wood and floor and sand the complete boat interior ( I just did the areas I needed to have fiberglassed) to add the final layer of fiberglass to cover the floor area.

Please let me know if I've done anything wrong. I know the fiberglassing a sloppy but I figured I could make up for it by sanding and adding one final layer of mat to clean it up.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/clifftonlh/My Boat/

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: My Boat restoration pics, what do you think?

1. How does it tow? Moving the boat up will increase the tongue weight. Does it "wag" like a dog's tail when being towed? You could extend the bunk boards if you need to.

2. Looking good. Consider drilling holes so water will not be trapped in any compartment and be able to get to the rear bilge area. Whip up a thicher batch of fiberglass and do the bottom seams then shape with a plastic spoon. You want any water to be able to take a fast track to the rear on a smooth surface.

3. I always build my transom's thicker. Go to a hardware store and get a piece of aluminum angle (like 2" x 2") and with a bit of trimming and a rubber mallet it will work fine as a cap.

You are doing good.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

IMG_0089.jpg

looking at this picture can't tell if it's connected to tow vehicle, if so you need a drop reciever, so trailer is level. if tongue weight is correct, you need to replace the bunks so that they come out past the transom about 2 inches, the way it's sitting now over time it's a good way to get a hook in the hull. i the picture of the tongue, it looks like the bow stop was closer to the front at one time, and has been moved back. i personally like long tongues, makes open tail gates much easier, and gives more room for loading.

General0

Cadet

The rear of the stringer and cross brace don't show it well in the picture but there is two openings that will allow water to drain to the bilge area.

I've been back ad forth with if I'm going to add foam. there wasn't any in the begining but it would make me feel a little bit more secure when it's all done. The problem is drainage and with the floor being only aprox. 5 inches from the bottom of the boat is it worth it?

it trailers fine, I just like you said tashasdaddy don't want it to develope a hook in the future. I'f I move it forward about 9 inches or so it will meet the end of the trailer bunks and I can still open my read door on the truck.

That picture is when it was unhooked and the front trailer jack was all the way up to allow the water to drain to the rear.

tallcanadian

Captain

nice job, general. beautiful boat. i too have a tri hull i'm going to be rebuilding, new floor, transom etc. i like the way your windshield is raised a bit higher that the rest of the boat. something i may be doing myself. i'm 6'5 and have a low profile boat. this would be a nice feature.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I suspect that you will be needing to replace the bunks for longer ones. The length dosen't matter much as long as it sticks out past the transom. Thet is where the weight & stress are concentrated. You wil also need to raise the boat a tad or lower the front center roller as it is digging into the hull.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Looks good. I personally would go with the foam. The arguement against foam is hinged on it saturating over time. The arguement for foam is the difference between having a swamped but still mostly floating boat to cling to and increase visibility so as to be found easier or to be bobbing out there with nothing to cling to and not easily seen. Me, I'll go with the foam. Its just the prudent thing to do, especially if you have a family you go out with. You can always keep water out of the foam by covering the boat when not in use, sealing holes dilled in the floor, etc.

General0

Cadet

Thanks tallcanadian I'm 5'11" and the windshield is at a height when I sit down (bout a inch or two above my head).

Yeah, solittle I think I will replace the bunks with longer ones and the front roller is actually rotted and torn which caused the scratch on the hull. I might also get a keel guard of some type anyone have any experience with these?

JasonJ, Your right about the foam. I'm just stuck on how to allow the water to drain to the rear once I fill the floor with it since I only have one stringer? I saw someone used pink sheet foam and I have some 2" foam from a basement remodel project I just finished!