my boat is leaning

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: my boat is leaning

I can't see any trim fin on the anode in the picture, but then again its hard to see, so I'll take your word for it. If it doesn't look like the one in the picture riptorn posted (minus the little notch cut out to clear the prop), then either its broken off, was cut/filed down to clear a prop, or is just that worn down (unlikely given the look of the outdrive, but possible I suppose). Either way, if you don't have power steering, there should be an anode with a trim tab on that outdrive I would think.

I would replace it (they are cheap), adjust it accordingly, and see if it helps your situation. If the standard one wont clear the prop you have on there now, Quicksilver makes one that offsets the fin itself farther back on the drive to clear larger pitch and diameter props.

bgc

Ensign

Its broken off then, they dont make them that small....

Take a look on iboats for the part, they have a sale going on now.

tocostew

Cadet

IMAG0799.jpg
IMAG0798.jpg
IMAG0800.jpg

here are a couple pictures of the lower unit. doesnt look to me like it was broken off, but what do yall think?

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Looks to me like it broke off.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it list when sitting still ir just when under power? I've have a couple boats that listed slightly to starboard because that the side that batteries (and fat *** captain) reside.

joe_nj

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same problem on my 87 Cobalt 17BR and it's scary on a turn. It began tilting to port about 10-15 degrees after I switched from a 3 blade aluminum prop to a 4 blade aluminum. It also does it when I'm still so I don't think it can be the prop. I had to have my son stand on the starboard side (220 pounds) when pulling it out of water onto the trailer to get it to sit level. I thought it had to be water under the deck - it would take about 30 gallons to make it tilt like that. The deck needed replacing anyway, so I tore it open and found about 1/8 cup of water or less in the whole port side of the boat. After I put on a new deck this week, I'll put it back in the water and see if it still leans. If so, I'll try putting the old prop back on and see if that makes any difference under power. I don't have trim tabs. It happens in all directions of the wind. I just remembered that I hit a log submerged in the water at 25 mph. Maybe it distorted my bow. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I'm far from an expert, but to me that fin clearly looks like it has been cut or broken off. It doesn't even look straight from the pictures. I would assume that a broken and not straight anode would definitely cause the issues you are having. I would change it out first, then see how the boat handles and go from there.

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

Just my 2cents but the tab looks like it broke off or was ground down to clear a prop. One other thing I see is the prop seems to be ground down also. The arc of the blade that is shown doesn't seem to be symetric. Like I said just my 2 cents..

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could it be the weight of the boat itself? I have a 20' Stingray with a 3.0 I/O and it leans to port when under way. I do tend to have more gear on that side plus my wife so to counter the weight (gear not wife)LOL I put the anchor on my side but it still leans. My old boat was just that older, with a bigger engine still a vee hull though but it never leaned. So I wonder if the lean could be from a unbalanced weight distribution made worse or more perceptable because of the lighter weight and configuration of the hull? He has had the boat for only a year so maybe it is what it is is?? Could a bent or broken anode really be causing the lean?
I have looked at mine and cannot determine why it leans except the skeg has been ground down and has a slight bend to it which was damaged before I bought it.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Odds are pretty good that there's nothing wrong with your boat at all. A lean to the left is caused by prop torque (lift). A lean to the right is not so great and could lead to chine walking. If it bothers you and you don't want to go moving stuff around inside, just go get a 50lb bag of 00 buck shot and use it for balast. Ask anyone that's been around awhile and they'll tell you pretty much the same thing.

FYI, the problem you're descibing has nothing to do with the trim annode or skeg.