my bell housing has a booger that im not sure about

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
alpha bell housing near shift cable, their is like what seams to be a plastic part. It is cracked and was pulling away at the seem? I used a rubber hammer and smacked it back into place. is this some kind of insert or damage or what. could I fix with jb weld or am I screwed with this housing? (under the sticker)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
under the sticker is a welch plug that seals the housing from a manufacturing step., it must be water tight.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
UntitledWP3jpg_zpsm2ngoojz.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there are no holes in the gimbal housing using plugs, now if this was a gen II that plastic part may have been the oil connector and you do need that
UntitledA37_zpspmp4gfsb.jpg

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
it was actually the rectangle piece under the sticker, in my picture above the shift cable were drive attaches, it was cracked and separated. pulling up a few mm. I smashed it back in place with a hammer before picture, I guess Ill pull sticker off and get a closer look.....

Bondo

Staff member
alpha bell housing near shift cable, their is like what seams to be a plastic part. It is cracked and was pulling away at the seem? I used a rubber hammer and smacked it back into place.

Ayuh,.... IF yer talkin' 'bout the side of the castin', right along the edge of the decal, right in that glare where I can't see very well,...
That's the shift cable cavity, that's all aluminum, part of the bell housin' castin', that's Supposed to be a dry cavity,...
My guess is, it leaked, filled with water, froze, 'n busted the lower corner out,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If it is busted PM me if you are interested in a replacement housing
any cracks along the red lines is a damaged housing , you can try to have it heli-arc`d but the gasket area cannot be compromised
UntitledA37_zpsypu6zjez.jpg

Last edited:

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
My problem Lies in my orginal mr housing steering gimbal ring play, I had this alpha housing lying around, it fits the inner transom plate. so I was inspecting and cleaning to use, then I found the crack.... I need to fix one or the other?!?!

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
by the way we need a real boat mechanic in my town (colorado Springs), I called doun to the local shop. to see if they could help with my problem. They was like bellhousing What??? You need do who with a Bellows?!?! O Im sorry sir were all booked up we cant really help you "dont wanna open up a can of worms" wish you guys could here the message its rather intertaning.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
WE can only imagine , with all the information here and your mechanical ability you can do the repairs.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
I almost wish the boat shop was competent. Bellows are a pain in the you know what. After this it will be like round 5. After the first Bellows job, I was like never ever want to do that again:eek: