My bayliner 195 BR 383 build

1Zorro1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My bayliner 195 BR 383 build

Victor jr single plane intake, edelbrock 750 carb, dart pro 1 aluminum heads. I've got a set of Bennett hydraulic trim tabs but gonna run the boat as is and not put them on untill I know they are needed. Def looking for 70 plus mph. Shooting for 450hp. When it's all assembled it's being tuned on the dyno with wide band o2 sensors, I just don't want to be screwing with the carb and timing curves out on the lake. Running an msd ignition system
You might want to install the tabs as a safety precaution. Consider a throttle pedal. Blow overs really hurt. No bull. Check with Chet over at hydrostream forum.

Last edited:

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

You might want to install the tabs as a safety precaution. Consider a throttle pedal. Blow overs really hurt. No bull. Check with Chet over at hydrostream forum.

I just can't see a blow over ever happening in this boat. Looking at video of it doing 50 there is a lot of boat still in the water. Video of it doing 60mph shows the same, a ton of boat still in the water. I tested tons of props at multiple pitches with last years setup and chose the prop that got the most boat out of the water but still had a stable feel. Looks like I'll be doing all that testing again, but I'll have a better knowledge base to work from so It shouldn't take as long. Last years prop ended up being a stainless 25p laser 2 with the vent holes plugged and the blades re pitched back toward 23p and some cupping added. It lifted the stern without giving a loose, *** end feel but was still able to hold the bow up at higher trim levels without proposing. I've got a good prop shop to deal with locally, hoping they have a 25p mirage to start my testing with this year.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

boat272.jpg

There's a 186 doing 65mpn not much tail in the water at all...the print is about two feet wide...Blow over well maybe not...... chine walk....Id bet a double cheeseburger and a smoothy on it...

Walt T

Lieutenant

I've posted it a few times, but here's the cam I used in my 389 build. My build isn't quite up to snuff as Yukon's is, my pistons aren't the best choice as his mirrors are. !.5 rockers

Camshaft Part Number:CCA-08-417-8

Cam Style:Hydraulic roller tappet
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:218
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:224
Duration at 050 inch Lift:218 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:270
Advertised Exhaust Duration:276
Advertised Duration:270 int./276 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.495 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.503 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.495 int./0.503 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):112

Yukonmuscle

Seaman

I've posted it a few times, but here's the cam I used in my 389 build. My build isn't quite up to snuff as Yukon's is, my pistons aren't the best choice as his mirrors are. !.5 rockers

Camshaft Part Number:CCA-08-417-8

Cam Style:Hydraulic roller tappet
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:218
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift:224
Duration at 050 inch Lift:218 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration:270
Advertised Exhaust Duration:276
Advertised Duration:270 int./276 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.495 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.503 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.495 int./0.503 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees):112

That's the cam I had in my 350. Moved one step up to the "jet boat" cam for this 383. Gonna make some mods to these cmi etop headers........ Damn it's hard to chop up headers that are so nice but I want to move the water/exhaust mixing point further away from the engine. Going to chop the flange off, add an elbow and extension that points to my side exit tips and weld the flange back on, effectively adding 8-10" s to the headers. Should prevent any reversion issues that may come from the cam choice.

Walt T

Lieutenant

For wilder cams where reversion is definitely an issue there are valves that divert the water at idle and open back up to normal once rpms kick up. Great for jets n stuff that use the cam profile.

Last edited:

Yukonmuscle

Seaman
Dyno shop just called, engine is broke in and tuned. Made 472hp and 460tq. Haven't seen where the peaks are or what the torque curve looks like but I'll know when I pick it up on Friday morning.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Whoa that's a bit taller than what was indicated...Congratulation's below is the 276 cam profile with a 350 seems you have it at it's full potential and then some,...Notice the low and flat tourqe curve excellent choice.

xr276.JPG

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ohh by the way your now in real drive jeporday....not only do you have enough torque to gernade the alpha you also will have enough speed to go airborne quite easily.....with that much power on re entry snap goes the lower unit shaft...be careful..