My amazing florescent light bulbs....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Last night I was working on setting up my new workshop in the basement. I hung two florescent shop lights over where the work benches will be. I stood back to admire my work when I noticed that one light was hanging a bit tilted from its chain. So I reach up, grab the end of the shop light and give it a twist. <br /><br />OOPS! <br /><br />The two 4' florescent tubes came out of the lamp and fell to the concrete floor. I reacted with cat like lightning fast reflexes, turning my back and covering my head (we call this the sissy position) to the impending explosion and flying glass shards. But instead of a double 'POP' sound, what I heard was "Boing, boing, boing, boing, boing.....boing" as the tubes bounced end to end on the floor, eventually coming to a stop.<br /><br />They did not break. I stood there it total disbelief as if my eyes had deceived me. I put them back in the lamp and they lit up! The pins on the ends were not even bent! But I did notice that the metal cap on each end was full of little dents.<br /><br />The bulbs are getting old, and I noticed that the dark spot on the end of one tube is starting to look a lot like Jesus. Think I'm going to put these on e-bay as "Miraculous Jesus Lights". <br /><br />Waddya think?<br /><br /> :D

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: My amazing florescent light bulbs....

Sounds like a million bucks! :p Well, maybe 29,000.....or maybe more like a buck or two. :p :D

ndemge

Commander

(we call this the sissy position) <br /><br />also know as the "Ah crap this is gonna hurt" is mose of my situations...

NYMINUTE

Captain

I have a 60W bulb that looks like Bob Hope. Any bidders?

ndemge

Commander

I had to come in and post this.....<br /><br />JUST NOW, I'm out in my warehouse, wrapping up an extention cord.... other end is plugged into an air compressor about 15' away, I just give it a lil whip and it unplugs from the compressor, but I see the end flying towards me super fast... so what do I do?<br /><br />I turn, dcuk my had and assume the "sissy position"... just started laughing and had to come post it.

ehenry

Commander

I hate I've read this now....I was planning on hanging some new lights over the bench in my shop this weekend. Can't do it now though!!! Mark42 has hexed me.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> I hate I've read this now....I was planning on hanging some new lights over the bench in my shop this weekend. Can't do it now though!!! Mark42 has hexed me.
Nothing a hexorsism won't cure. I will call Dr. Incandesent.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

What do I think?<br /><br />You are very blessed for not having to clean up literally thousands of little shards of glass.<br /><br />When those things go, glass will explode and go a long way.<br /><br />I recently dropped one in my garage. What a mess!

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> I have a 60W bulb that looks like Bob Hope. Any bidders?
Hmmm, I got one that looks like Pamela Anderson.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I got one that looks like me...It's not real bright.<br /><br />I once went to break one and took a swing at the edge of the dumpster with it, that thing bounced right off it. They can be amazingly toufgh.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yeah, them lights can be tough, but they also can break easily. A couple of weeks ago I was changing out some HO Flourescts in a bank sign. The HO's you don't twist them in, they have a socket you push one end into compressing a spring and then you put the other end in the opposite socket. Then you release it and its done. <br /><br />The first one I took out slipped out of my fingers. Fell about 15' onto the sidewalk. :eek: People looking at me like "Why did he do that?" But it to bounced around and didn't break. I grabbed up a new one out of the box. Got up to the sign and was threading this 8' bulb through some brackets, when "BOOM" happened. Bran new $12 sign bulb wasted. <br /><br />I don't know why, but some will break easy and others are hard to kill!<br /><br />BTW, picking light bulb glass out of the snow is a pain!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
Hmmm, I got one that looks like Pamela Anderson. [/QB][/quote]<br /><br /> Correct me if I am mistaken, but wouldn't Pamela require 2 bulbs.... (A Double header?) :)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

I know what you mean, I was changing out one of those U-shaped ones the other day, and well, you know those little metal spring thingy's that hold the U-shaped end up in the fixture.....don't let them spring back into the bulb......powie!! Glass shards everywhere. Not to mention they are always above you head so you know where the glass goes :eek:

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> Are you sure its Pam and not Tommy Lee Kagee? :)
Well.... it's big on top, yellow tint and a little on the dim side. I'd say it's Pam. :p <br /><br /><br />OMG.... just realized... it's another LIGHTBULB thread.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

"SISSY POSITION"<br />I also call this the OS effect. First you say it, then you do it.<br />In cars it often results in the removal of upulstry from ones back side.<br />Last night I responded to a mans house, his daughter attacked him with a butcher knife. As I was creeping up to the door, he stepped out from the bushes where he was hiding. <br />I hit the BIG O.S. I said it but didn't do it.<br />I also realized that I hadn't lost my quick draw. When that reaction hit me, he found his O.S. position. He said it and from the smell, did it too. If I had been sitting I would have had a very hard time removing the cushion on that one. As it was, only the FTL's and polyester.<br />Definately post on E-bay. Will make a fortune!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />OMG.... just realized... it's another LIGHTBULB thread.
r811a.jpg