My '76 PY Explorer Open project...

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Vacation day on Tuesday, took the opportunity to move all of the 318 engine parts down from the shop attic and loaded them into the bed of the pickup, along with the 318 block. Delivered them to Simons Machine Shop in Charleston, reputable old firm that my son-in-law uses for machine work for his auto repair shop. They will begin by checking the integrity of the block, then the crank, pistons, intake, main bearing caps. As Memorial Day was the 3rd anniversary of my purchasing this PY, I was happy/excited to finally do something with the motor for this boat. Pics to follow...

Last edited:

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found this while cleaning out "bookmarks" this morning, something I posted on DIY Wood Boats site

Why you should rebuild the trailer before launching your "completed, ready to test" boat project...
by Peter
(Reevesville, SC, USA)​
After years of reading and looking, I bought my first boat in 1986, an early 70's Cobia Centaur runabout, inboard outboard with sraight 6 Chevy motor.

After about six months of clean up and fix up, I thought the boat was ready to test.
***C2Add.shtml***​

I had worked on the winch, replaced the wiring and lights, the bunks.

But what I didn't know...

With the help of neighbor/good friend and with my 4 year old son along, we launched at a public landing in N Charleston.

When we returned from a short cruise on the river, the tide was out.

Unaware that the ramp dropped off, I backed my trailer (an old Murray dual axle tilt trailer with an odd configuration, single long springs upside down, connected to the axles) down the ramp.

We tried to retrieve the boat, but could not winch it onto the trailer, even with the trailer tilting, the winch did not have enough mechanical advantage.

I backed the trailer a bit further down the ramp and the rear wheels dropped off the ramp.

With the trailer deeper in the water, we were able to load the boat.

But when I tried to pull up the ramp, no go.

My little '82 Dodge Caravan 4 cylinder couldn't get the rear wheels up onto the ramp.

I didn't know that that odd undercarriage was the real reason, not lack of power.

What to do??

To our rescue came a stranger who was parked up in the landing, people watching.

In a pickup with huge tires, 4 wheel drive, a hitch on the front and the back, he pulled down the ramp and hooked up to my trailer.

He was inebriated, "No problem," he assured me.

I should have had second thoughts.

I should have launched the boat, lifted the trailer up onto the ramp, then reloaded after the tide came in...

Should have, would have, could have...

With a roar of the engine, he put the truck in reverse to back up the ramp.

The trailer went up the tramp, the wheels and axles stayed behind!

The adventure got worse...

I left the boat at the landing overnight; thankfully, no one stole it.

The next day, I removed the undercarriage from the trailer, but could not repair it as stores were closed (Sunday).

With the intention of mooring the boat at the public marina overnight, I drove downriver to Charleston.

In route, the torque coupling spun.

On an inboard/outboard, that means that the boat does not go any further.

I had to be towed into the marina.

Monday morning, I took the kids to school, went to a marine store in Charleston to buy a hose for the bilge pump and look for springs, my wife called the store (this was pre-cell phone days), told me that the marina had called, was told that "the boat was sinking."

When I arrived at the marina, I found the boat awash, sitting on the bottom, low tide.

Another twelve months, engine & wiring replaced, trailer rebuilt, she was good to go.

Even though my ignorance led to a few other break downs, we enjoyed that boat for 12 years...

Moral of the story, when you work on a boat project, rebuild the trailer.

No matter how good it looks, unless it is new, at least tear it down, inspect, rebuild if necessary.
Especially springs, hubs, axles, winch cable, rollers, bunks.

Last edited:

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Received a call from the machine shop, week of June 8th, status of their inspection of the 318 motor. She described what they had done thus far and what would be needed -- pressure test the block, if good, vat and minimal bore the block; polish the crank, re-do the heads entirely. I told her, "Proceed!" I was encouraged!

Spoke her again 6/12, learned that the block has multiple cracks. Toast... So, back to the drawing board on the motor. Short or long block 318, 340 or 360? Switch to Chevy 350 or Ford 351??

Meanwhile, I found a water pump impeller for the '86 Tohatsu on my Grumman 18 Ski n Fish. Will order it along with carb kit for future use. Plan to pump out the fuel from the permanent tank and set up fuel system with valve to use permanent or new 3 gallon portable tank. The motor is so thrifty that a full permanent tank (12 gallons) lasts all season and then some. I may even remove it and use two portable tanks to avoid fuel problems.

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Picked up the 318 from the machine shop yesterday. Four cylinders, same side of block, are cracked. God, if I ever get this boat in the water, please stamp this on my brain, "DRAIN the engine and manifolds and fill with antifreeze in September!" Now the search begins for a motor. At Simons, to rebuild the heads would be $500-600, she says. So, I have usable heads, oil pan, intake (it warrants further inspection), timing cover, pistons. The search begins. Sent a note to PY Guru asking if the motor mounts from the 318 will work with a Ford or Chevy motor (like a 351 Windsor or 302, or 305 or 350 Chevy).

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

4 out of 8 cylinders, cracked...

Attachments

• photo223480.jpg
    photo223480.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo223481.jpg
    photo223481.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 0

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Said good-bye to my PY yesterday, fella from Charlotte will now get to enjoy the project. Not meant to be... Adios!!!