My 70hp Johnson is driving me nuts!

Parrot6909

Seaman
Bought the motor in August, just needed an idle adjustment I was told.....tried that, still not working right....Here are the details, 1983 70hp Johnson, 501 hours on it....starts great, idles high, shifts hard. When I raise the idle lever, it feels like there is no resistance, if i manually move the throttle lever under the cowling, i can get it down to lower rpms. Also, when putting the boat in forward, i have to go to 3/4 throttle in order to get it to go above idle. Its very tight from the 3/4 to full throttle setting, but the rpms do get up around 5200 at full. When I put the motor in reverse, I can put the throttle all the way back and don't get any higher then Idle rpms which is a pain when docking........Do I need new cables? Maybe a new control box? Don't know where to start...I bought a manual but I don't see much in the way of this problem.....Help!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: My 70hp Johnson is driving me nuts!

I would start with the cables, especially if they are the original cables.. <br /><br />First, I'd disconnect the cables at the engine and make sure all the shift and throttle linkage on the engine moves freely.... Don't be supprised if shift linkage seems a bit difficult... It's probably ok...<br /><br /> Then, with the linkage still disconnected, try the controls.. If it's still stiff, then you know where the problem is..<br /><br />If you have an OMC control box, you'll have to somewhat dis-assemble the box to get the cables out, so, while you have the box apart, give it a good cleaning out and fresh grease... Be mindful of springs and ball bearings.. ;) <br /><br /> I've seen boxes so caked up with old crusty grease that they would'nt move... Clean out and grease em' up, good as new..

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: My 70hp Johnson is driving me nuts!

Parrot6909 <br /><br />Time to replace the throttle cable and while your at it, now would be a good time to replace the shift cable, as it's probably not far behind..