My 18' SS Project - update & consolidated pics

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Since there's so many great new projects going on I've often had to go back and dig for pics from my project to reference when offering advice. I thought it might be helpful to put all my SS project pics in one place. So I created a new photobucket album and dumped all my SS pics in it. There are some newer ones in there from some updates I've done since the original restore including my new low profile bow rails, swim platform, and painted outboard. You will have to forgive the complete out of orderness of the pics.

As you know I have "sold out" to some extent and bought a 20' glasser. It is wood free though! (it's a good thing too because I had a leaky trim tab mount that absolutely would have taken out a wood transom) The Evinrude 90 on the SS gave us fits for two seasons with a sporadically dropping cylinder. This came to a head in '15 when we dragged it 2 hours home from the lake and then another 4 hours to the shore on vacation to have it act up real bad on the first day and end up just sitting in the slip for a week. We decided to upgrade to something bigger and deeper that could better handle the huge wakes some of the bigger boats on our narrow lake throw off especially on holiday weekends. The SS handled that kind of thing safely but it was a fairly brutal ride. I sought out a saltwater dual console which has just been absolutely ideal. The whole family loves it. I toyed with the idea of selling the SS but decided it was worth more to me than whatever I could get for it.

My buddy used it all last season out at the lake with his family while he worked on his own SC restore. It ran but the cylinder dropping got worse as the season went on. Since the problem first became bad and after I sent a mechanic down the wrong path thinking it was a fuel issue I bought two new coils and borrowed a known good power pack. I swapped these things onto both sides of the motor but the issue persisted. This Spring I bought another two coils and installed them. Took it out with my son but it was still only running in 3. Double checked all the wiring at home this weekend and found a plug pin pushed in. Fixed that and she seems to be back on all 4 now. I am optimistic I've fixed it. Tried to take it out tonight with my family but when we got to the river we found it flooded and full of debris. So unfortunately my testing will have to wait. I'll let you know what happens. As for now the Hydra-Sports stays out at our lake campsite 2 hours away and the SS stays here at home to use during the week and in the off-season when camp is closed.

Hopefully my pic album helps someone with and SS or similar project with some ideas. We're like 7 or 8 years with it now and I'm still very pleased with the boat. It's setup just how I like for fishing and the marine vinyl deck has been tough as nails.

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/ezmobee/library/Starcraft Super Sport

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nicely done ez! I can see why you are very pleased with you're projects, you've done amazing work! I don't know where I personally would be in my holi redo if it hadn't been for guys like you and other members of this forum who are so willingly/wanting to share with help. Thank you!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
what connection was the pushed in pin on????
...what model was the 90??

and thanks for the consolidation...ill be peeking in as I do my sons 180SS....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh man what an awesome pic that is!

IMG_1229.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
what connection was the pushed in pin on????
...what model was the 90??

1981 Evinrude 90. Don't have the exact model handy. It was the connection between the power pack and coils. So yeah kinda an important one :embarassed:

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

I see you have your outboard bracket on the starboard side. Any advantage comparing if it's on the port side?

Thanks,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Hi,

I see you have your outboard bracket on the starboard side. Any advantage comparing if it's on the port side?

Thanks,

No. Quite the opposite. Should definitely be on the port. Since the boat came with a swim platform on it already I put a new one in the same spot and put the kicker on the other side. I wish I hadn't.

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
No. Quite the opposite. Should definitely be on the port. Since the boat came with a swim platform on it already I put a new one in the same spot and put the kicker on the other side. I wish I hadn't.

Could you please explain the good/bad?
(I am going to add a bracket to mine)

Thanks,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Could you please explain the good/bad?
(I am going to add a bracket to mine)

Thanks,

Weight. You probably want the weight of the kicker outboard on the opposite side as the driver. Also, if you plan to hook up a steering bar to it so it can be steered by your main motor that would likely be easier with it on the port side.

ziguan

Seaman Apprentice
Weight. You probably want the weight of the kicker outboard on the opposite side as the driver. Also, if you plan to hook up a steering bar to it so it can be steered by your main motor that would likely be easier with it on the port side.

can't the weight be balanced by putting the battery and gas tank to the other side?
not planing to use a steering bar here, would it be easier to reach the handle if it's on the starboard side?

thanks,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Yes it could. I have my battery on the motor side but a 12 gallon fuel tank on the other. As far as steering you've got issues on either side. On the port side you have the tiller handle swinging way outboard. On the starboard it likely whacks your main motor. I guess there's pluses and minuses to either and no clear winner. Here's a really nice fully remote starboard side mounting job http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...-18-starcraft-supersport-bowrider-restoration

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
It's nice to see you still at it EZ! :thumb:

In fact, your SS project was the inspiration for me to set aside ALL of my common sense ... & drive 1/2 way down the east coast to drag home my pile of rotten, floppy tin....so you better not get rid of it now! :director: