MWS wiring harness question on warning lights

Aardvarkjff

Seaman Apprentice
OK, I have a 1992 Riviera Cruiser that "had" an Evinrude outboard with the old style wiring harness. Fast forward, at some point the engine was swapped out for a 1996 48 SPL with the new MWS wiring harness. They removed both connectors and butt spliced the controls together. Now in rehabbing it, I have a new ignition switch with the new style connector and spliced a Deutsch connector so my controls are now all the new style.

My question is if the 48 SPL actually uses any of the warning lights that are found in the 8 pin connector that would plug into an OEM tach? I know there is no oil reservoir, so that is out, the oil injection is non existent, so that light is out. Do any of the other lights actually do anything on a 1996 48 SPL? I can add warning lights to the new console if there are sensors. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally the warning lights are "low oil", "no Oil", "overheat" and "System Check" which for 2 cycle V6 OBs is Fuel Restriction.

I expect you will have only the overheat warning. A buzzer is in order.

Aardvarkjff

Seaman Apprentice
OK, the old helm had a system check buzzer or something on one of the connectors from the new harness. It says system check on the tag. I will see if I can find the light for overheat on the 8 pin connector for humor value. I hear that the warning switch is a ground switch, so I assume I would put the ground on the warning light to the connector and take the positive right to my distribution block? Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your wiring assumption is correct. The wire color at the head, for the temp sender is blue/tan. It will likely be just tan at the System check connector. You also might find a ring terminal with a tan or white/tan wire. That might be the right one to connect to a buzzer. You will need to verify it, though.

Aardvarkjff

Seaman Apprentice
Any chance there is a diagram/mapping for that 8 pin connector for the wiring harness? Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There is a picture of the 6 pin connector, at the motor, in the OEM Service manual. Tan goes to both overheat sensors, thru a diode. Grey goes to OMS pump, Tan/orange goes to Vacuum gauge on fuel line; Tan/black goes to oil tank level sender. Tan/yellow does to OMS Pump. Black is ground.

At the dashboard the wires are the same, except purple is added for Ign power and purple and Tan/purple is used to power the buzzer. The Tan/purple buzzer wire is driven by the electronics of the System Check Gauge.