Must Have items!!!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Glad I am 72 and long past my swimming days, water today has to much unkown's in it. I have learned to not trust the gov't when they say it is safe !!
When I was a kid we had two 8' pools on the street. (that's diameter, not depth). It was a rainy day and we went "fishing" out in the field. Got a turtle and a bunch of frogs. They went in the pool and we had a ball all day long. At the end of the day we took them back to the "crik" to live another day. Neither pool had chlorine in it. Got refilled once a week.

The next day it was 90 outside, not a cloud or wind. We went to both Moms and asked to drain the pools so we could swim. Both said no. We were 4 boys and 2 girls. So, what were we to do? Swim in the brown poop filled water, of course. What else?

Both Moms had a fit when they found out. None of us died or even got sick. Ha to y'all we said.

So, I'm 73 now. I'm way past having to WORRY about what's in the water. There's a reason my boats have ladders on the back. I use them. And getting splashed on a Jetski is what I live for.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Did the same thing when I was a kid, but we didn't have the chemicals that we have today, back then !! I could care less about brown or water with algea, I have a large pond that I can swim in. But all the chemicals that are dumped into our water. Just look at all the seriously deformed animals running around the creeks and runoff areas. Up until a few years ago I had a kayak and used it to explore back areas of creeks runoff ditches etc. It became an eye opening experience....you woukdn't believe the stuff you can find, including bags of drugs, bloody body parts from who knows ???? Have called the police on a few of our findings, but they rarely if ever show up. Paddling down a section of a small river that runs thru town, behind businesses, you shoukd see the stuff that flows out if small drain pipes when the water is low, some actually glowed in the dark !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Did the same thing when I was a kid, but we didn't have the chemicals that we have today, back then !! I could care less about brown or water with algea, I have a large pond that I can swim in. But all the chemicals that are dumped into our water.
Truth be told, some algae blooms (black in particular) are some of the most toxic and harmful things you could ever come in contact with.

And.....the chemicals back then were actually WORSE than what we have today. The difference now is that in most cases they are not allowed to be deposited in our waterways.

I grew up on the Erie Canal and the Niagara River. Homes upstream from our house on the Canal had NO septic tanks or sewers. It was common to see raw sewage floating by. The Niagara was infamous for mercury and dioxins. Both have now been cleaned up. The factories now have clean discharges.

My senior year concentrated in Environmental Engineering. The EPA, OSHA, etc. were in their infancy. The largest river polluter in NY was XXXX. I used to swim downstream of the plant, but had no idea at the time. You can't make this up, but later I became their Plant Engineer. WE spent $millions to clean up the effluent. I still swim there. No worries now.

I may expire because of my youthful indiscretions, but now "What, Me Worry".

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
So as the title says, what are your must have things in your boat?
I use my boat to fish some, trot lines, bank poles, pole fishing, but most weekends are spent going to the beach with friends and my kiddos. So, love to hear what you all think are the must haves in your boat!
beside the other items mentioned, a few long zip ties are in the boat's toolbox, plastic and stainless steel versions

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
So as the title says, what are your must have things in your boat?
I use my boat to fish some, trot lines, bank poles, pole fishing, but most weekends are spent going to the beach with friends and my kiddos. So, love to hear what you all think are the must haves in your boat!
beyond the req stuff. WD40 vice grip Phillips and flat screwdriver at least twenty feet of rope electrical tape sharp serrated Knife flashlight

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Love the replies! All the required safety gear is in the boat, Fire extinguisher, Life Jackets, running lights, whistle, 2 oars. Normal things that are in the boat are 2 anchors with 100' of rope, I use those electrical cord rollers for the rope as well to keep it all together, they work great! Old Ammo box with some tools, spark plugs. Always have 1 gallon of oil in the boat due to my 2-stroke needing it. Just upgraded from a 6-gallon tank to 12-gallon tank. Won't need that extra 5 gallons with me at all times (as much). also have a variety of items in the semi dry storage area under one of the benches. I have added carpet to the floor and seats as its metal and hot in the summer on the little legs that touch them the most. Kids are happier with it now! Got me 2 of those millennium boats seats (love those things! So comfy). Usually only have 1 battery (Deep Cycle Marine). Only thing hooked to it are my bilge pump, motor, and the 4-gang switch panel for running lights and my interior lights (all LED). Id like to add some pole holders on the sides of the boat (stroage ones to keep the poles from rattling around) but not sure of that yet. Gotta find something i like for the area i have available. Any ideas on those would be great! Also have my Bimini top for the boat as well. I think next year will be the year for taking the motor off and redoing the paint job on the old girl.