Must Have items!!!

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So as the title says, what are your must have things in your boat?
I use my boat to fish some, trot lines, bank poles, pole fishing, but most weekends are spent going to the beach with friends and my kiddos. So, love to hear what you all think are the must haves in your boat!

dwco5051

Commander
So as the title says, what are your must have things in your boat?
I use my boat to fish some, trot lines, bank poles, pole fishing, but most weekends are spent going to the beach with friends and my kiddos. So, love to hear what you all think are the must haves in your boat!
You need two boats. I figure what you are asking is what items are common to each use.

matt167

Captain
I really only keep in date safety gear in my boat. Tubes, skies and such on an as needed basis.. 2 boats are almost a requirement. I’ve got a 14’ runabout I can take absolutely anywhere that is calm waters and working on getting my 18’ bowrider going so that I can take more people into rougher waters, but not as feather light to tow and will require better launches

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Tool kit, first aid kit, sunscreen, some type of bailing device, cell phone and or VHF, depending on where you go, a list of phone numbers for coast guard, towboat, etc., flashlight, emergency flares (even if not required by law where you go), spare transom drain plug (if it is the rubber type), spare keys (if an electric start motor), a $20 bill, a second anchor.

Of course, things like PFDs, anchor and other thongs required by law go without saying.

If you're smart, a kicker that runs on separate fuel and electrical systems are also a good idea. If the boat can be rowed, oars will suffice.

Lastly, contact the US Coats Guard Auxiliary and have therm do a safety check. They will add other items that I may have missed.

I listed all these things because that's what's on my boats. Some were added in later years because I didn't have them, but found out I needed them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is the mandatory requirements from the coast guard. Start there

Add VHF radio, cell phone and tow insurance . Those are the must haves

airshot

Rear Admiral
My boat akways has on board the necessary safety items required along with minimal tools, spare prop, first aid kit, spare fuses, spare bulbs, spare batteries for TM remote. I keep large cloth bags like the ladies carry for there summer activities. One bag has all the stuff I need to carry when I go fishing. Another bag carries the stuff we need if we are just joy riding. To old to do water sports so nothing extra there. I typically fill the fuel tank every other outing so plenty of fuel onboard with the built in 15 gallon tank. Oh...a set of jumper cables in case I need to jump the four batteries on board.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Safety gear depend a lot on where you're boating. For example, if you boat on a river, especially near any dams, having a couple really good anchors is important should your motor fail.

Where I boat, VHF radio and tow insurance won't really do me much good. A cell phone is much more important.

I agree with others that the standard stuff the Coast Guard lists is a good place to start.

roffey

Commander
I keep a set of fins, snorkel and mask, as well as tools and other safety equipment.. oh and $20 for ice cream...

Chief Petty Officer
A cooler full of refreshments and female company.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I keep a set of fins, snorkel and mask, as well as tools and other safety equipment.. oh and $20 for ice cream...
Great idea on the ice cream !!! In our area, many restaurants/ bars have opened along the waterway in town. Not cheap places to go, and not that family friendly after happy hour. Always thought it would be a grest olacevto open something like a Dairy Queen or such for not only the treats, but hot dogs, burgers etc. I cant help but think that would be a good business, whether during the day or a nice summer night !!! All the ice cream places around my area are very busy all day long during summer months but you cant reach them by boat unless it is on a trailer!!! Would bevawesomevto have some kind of family friendly ice cream type of eatery along the water front....bet docking space would be a premium !!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A pool in the back yard and a short drive to the Atlantic Beaches leaves the boat primarily for fishing and cruising purposes.

Outside of all required Safety Gear and a full array of communications and guidance electronics......

Seasonally appropriate fishing Tackle - Trolling or Bottom fishing
Spare fuel filter
Filter wrench
Gallon of oil
Couple spare Spark plugs
Long spout funnel
Spare fuses
Spare prop
Spare prop hardware
Prop Wrench
Tow Insurance card
Cell Phone (Spotify play lists)
Adult beverages
Bottled Water
#40 ice
Binoculars
Chart Book
Billy Club (fish)
Hull plugs of various sizes
First aide kit
100 ft. of extra dock line
Sun glasses and Hats
Emergency (mylar) thermal blanket
Filet and Survival knives
Small, water proof tool kit with 12V tester
Flash Light
Hand Sanitizer (fish handling)
Dry clothes (winter)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A pool in the back yard and a short drive to the Atlantic Beaches leaves the boat primarily for fishing and cruising purposes.

Outside of all required Safety Gear and a full array of communications and guidance electronics......

Seasonally appropriate fishing Tackle - Trolling or Bottom fishing
Spare fuel filter
Filter wrench
Gallon of oil
Couple spare Spark plugs
Long spout funnel
Spare fuses
Spare prop
Spare prop hardware
Prop Wrench
Tow Insurance card
Cell Phone (Spotify play lists)
Adult beverages
Bottled Water
#40 ice
Binoculars
Chart Book
Billy Club (fish)
Hull plugs of various sizes
First aide kit
100 ft. of extra dock line
Sun glasses and Hats
Emergency (mylar) thermal blanket
Filet and Survival knives
Small, water proof tool kit with 12V tester
Flash Light
Hand Sanitizer (fish handling)
Dry clothes (winter)
That's a good list. It added a few things that I forgot about.

As to the pool in the back yard, we have one as well. Good for windy days and when other priorities require. We still prefer to jump in the river.

With all the crap going on today, and all the idiots out there (not just on the water), maybe a Max 9 should be added to the list.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
2 Stream Machine water blasters in case we’re attacked!

Attachments

• CFAA0757-56A8-472D-8BC8-B617C610CDA5.jpeg
    CFAA0757-56A8-472D-8BC8-B617C610CDA5.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As to the pool in the back yard, we have one as well. Good for windy days and when other priorities require. We still prefer to jump in the river.
You’re lucky you still have that option.

What little freshwater we have to swim has quality issues.

Brackish water is full of critters, water borne bacterium, sea nettles, etc.

Saltwater quality is good…but keep in mind you are no longer at the top of the food chain

Getting wet on the boat involves spraying yourself with the raw washdown hose.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Glad I am 72 and long past my swimming days, water today has to much unkown's in it. I have learned to not trust the gov't when they say it is safe !!