Muratic Acid and carb

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Could i use a 20% muratic acid solution and soak a rochester 4 barrel carb body i ? I picked up a carb and upon taking it apart the float bowl is full off white calcium crap or something and nothing seems to clean it up. Its just the aluminum body or would the acid be bad. or any other ideas

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
three parts lemon juice to 1 part water, remove all rubber /plastic parts bring mixture to a boil drop your parts in, after 15-20 minutes all is good,

You can get the large bottles of lemon juice from the dollar store.

o'neal

Seaman Apprentice
On my recent carb rebuild I used a 50-50 mix of pinesol,extremely hot water and left soaking in a closeable container overnight.Worked quite well.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Those are three good environmentally safe cleaners. ^^^^ One more is white vinegar, it's diluted in the jug to 5% and Heinz has one labeled Cleaner which is 6%. That is about the strongest acidic solution I would try and as a last chance after the others.

Muratic acid is hydrochloric acid by another name. It hates aluminum.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok i will not be using it! Thanks for all the tips fellas

JustJason

Vice Admiral
For anybody else reading this... murimatic acid + aluminum combines to make a poisonous gas...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You can use a little muriatic + water and do this outside. The gasses are very dangerous. back in the old days this is how quite a few people did it. But today there is much better methods mentioned above.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer
probably the best way to clean almost any small part is using a ultrasonic cleaner.......although most of us don't have one just laying around, you can pick up a decent size commercial one for pretty cheap on ebay