MST guardian question??

tandg96

Cadet
While winterizing my '93 7.4 bravo two unit for the first time I noticed that the two plastic "hose barb" fitting on the lower part of the block are broken off (on both sides). I've never had problems with water in the bilge so the one way valves must be working. When going to the website I see the they are no longer in business. Has anyone ever put a brass fitting on instead of the special one way valve? MST guardians website says that this is ok, but my first thought is that water would push back thru the guardian unit. Am correct in thinking this???

Thanks for your help,

Todd

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MST guardian question??

Hi.
I am in the same boat your in. I broke one of the black barbed fittings also. You can no longer get parts from guardian. I looked on the guardian site and did not see where it said it was acceptable to use a brass barbed fitting instead of the one way nylon barbed fitting. Where did you see this on the websight?

Thanks steve.

tandg96

Cadet

If you need ?Injector valves? or 3/8-inch hose barb 1/2 NPT (national pipe thread) with a check valve inserted in it, Part #751 or #3A1238G for the straight Hose barb, or Part #752 or #3EL1238G for the 90-degree hose barb, the bad news is that they are not available at this time. The good news is that you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a similar part (in plastic or brass) (without the check valve of course) and it will work almost as well. I would recommend increasing the flush time to 5 minutes.

I found this on the http://www.mstguardian.com/ website.

While at lowes I also bought some 3/8" barbed ball valves that I plan to install.I hope I'm on the right track!

Check out the website and see what you think?

Todd

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw the website. It sounds like a good product, but I dont know what the guardian would offer over several hoses connected to a main waterbank at the same points. I dont know if I buy all the vibration stuff that dislodges salt and silt. It is nice to flush without having to use muffs or start the engine.

tandg96

Cadet

I think your right! I'm questioning the guardian myself but since its on the boat already I thought I see if I could get some opinions or answer some of my own questions here. I guess it can't hurt to play with it since i already own it!
Anybody else out there ever play with the mst guardian system??

Todd