Moving outdrive with engine off?

DFWcobalt

Cadet
Howdy y’all. 2005 Cobalt 272 with VP 8.1GX-i & power steering.

With the engine off and boat on the trailer, should I be able to grab the outdrive and muscle it left & right? I cant be sure, but I thought that I used to be able to do this and upon just trying it wouldn’t budge.

Steering was fine at the end of last season. Only change was a steering wheel swap that I did in NOV.

Thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
Welcome
The drive should NOT move
Why not....I was able to move my Merc outdrive left to right if I pushed and pulled hard. Did that often when greasing the fittings. Steering from the helm was not loose !!

alldodge

Staff member
Why not....I was able to move my Merc outdrive left to right if I pushed and pulled hard. Did that often when greasing the fittings. Steering from the helm was not loose !!
I could move my old 1966 Alpha but have not been able to move any of my bravos. To do so this means fluid must be sucked out and thru the pump on the high side without out the pump turning.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I could move my old 1966 Alpha but have not been able to move any of my bravos. To do so this means fluid must be sucked out and thru the pump on the high side without out the pump turning.
Didn't think about power steering pump....

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Alpha 1 gen 1 moves side to side fairly easily, always has. I've had the boat 20 years...

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My 1995 OMC Cobra (Volvo in drag) is solid when trying to move the drive. Only way to move it is with the wheel... valving between Volvo/OMC and Mercruiser may be different with their power steering rams. That would account for why those with a Merc can do it, and those with a Cobra/SX cannot

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Old style Cobra with the Bendix style actuator can be moved side to side from the drive end. Older Merc & OMC both used the same Bendix style actuator which was also used on cars back in the 60s and 70s (Corvettes and unit body Fords). Thats' why you can still get parts to rebuild the actuator.steering actuator intalled.jpg