Moving heat exchanger from back of engine to the front of the engine.

sitkamick

Seaman
I have a Mercruiser 260 MR (Chevy 350) engine hooked up to an Alpha 1 Gen one outdrive. The heat exchanger in back next to the transom and I would like to move it to the front of the engine. It will be much easier to check the water each time I go out. Has anyone done this? Good idea, bad idea? I hope to have the hoses in a neat fashion and not look like someone that didn't know what they were doing like I now have. I will be pulling the engine out this winter to clean, check, and paint it. I also will be able to do a good cleaning of the bilge area. The person that put the present engine in the boat also put some "pretty" (worthless) chromed valve covers on it and they will go for sure! They just aren't what one needs in the cool damp climate of S.E. Alaska.
Also, some photos of what it should look like afterwords would be great, or a place online that I may see some photos.

Thanks a bunch.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Moving heat exchanger from back of engine to the front of the engine.

Repowered 4.3L Front.jpgRepowered 4.3L B.jpgStarboard Side 4.3L.jpgHere's what mine looks like. It's a SeaKamp kit. Yours will probably be the same for the 350. Very straightforward installation. Are you running a half or full system?

haulnazz15

Captain

Volphin, I'm not sure that plastic fuel filter you have there is USCG approved. I'd remove it if I were you.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Volphin, I'm not sure that plastic fuel filter you have there is USCG approved. I'd remove it if I were you.

LOL Just a temp my friend. Have a new water sep system but waiting until winter to do the drilling/fitment. It will go where the overflow tank is now, and the overflow will relocate to the port side. I had a lot of junk in my tank that I cleaned out during her repower and this is to catch what is left of the particulates. It should more than handle the 7psi the fuel pump is regulated to, as it is a carb application filter. ;)

haulnazz15

Captain

LOL Just a temp my friend. Have a new water sep system but waiting until winter to do the drilling/fitment. It will go where the overflow tank is now, and the overflow will relocate to the port side. I had a lot of junk in my tank that I cleaned out during her repower and this is to catch what is left of the particulates. It should more than handle the 7psi the fuel pump is regulated to, as it is a carb application filter. ;)

Not questioning whether it can handle the pressure, just saying that it isn't USCG approved because it is plastic. I have run one on the inlet-side of the fuel pump to check for particulates before, too. Just making sure a hard jolt doesn't crack the filter and start filling the bilge with gasoline. Even with a small crack at 7psi, you'd have you'd have a Solo cup full of fuel in a minute and the engine may not even stall.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Not questioning whether it can handle the pressure, just saying that it isn't USCG approved because it is plastic. I have run one on the inlet-side of the fuel pump to check for particulates before, too. Just making sure a hard jolt doesn't crack the filter and start filling the bilge with gasoline. Even with a small crack at 7psi, you'd have you'd have a Solo cup full of fuel in a minute and the engine may not even stall.

Yep. You're right. That's why she is "suspended" the way she is in mid air. The fuel pump delivers 70 GPH. It WOULD be a bad scenario, and more than a Solo cup. I have a metal one from an old BMW laying around. Maybe I'll pop that one on until I put her up for winter.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a Mercruiser 260 MR (Chevy 350) engine hooked up to an Alpha 1 Gen one outdrive. The heat exchanger in back next to the transom and I would like to move it to the front of the engine. It will be much easier to check the water each time I go out. Has anyone done this? Good idea, bad idea? I hope to have the hoses in a neat fashion and not look like someone that didn't know what they were doing like I now have. I will be pulling the engine out this winter to clean, check, and paint it. I also will be able to do a good cleaning of the bilge area. The person that put the present engine in the boat also put some "pretty" (worthless) chromed valve covers on it and they will go for sure! They just aren't what one needs in the cool damp climate of S.E. Alaska.
Also, some photos of what it should look like afterwords would be great, or a place online that I may see some photos.

Thanks a bunch.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm sure it's Doable,....

I'm guessin' you'll need different hoses if they're of the Molded type,....

Ayuh,.... I put the filter ahead of the fuel pump too,...

No sense in pumpin' trash, trashin' the pump,...

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I'm sure it's Doable,....

I'm guessin' you'll need different hoses if they're of the Molded type,....

Ayuh,.... I put the filter ahead of the fuel pump too,...

No sense in pumpin' trash, trashin' the pump,...

Yeah. And having the filter "ahead" of the pump allows it to just suck air if it develops a leak instead of spewing fuel all over the bilge....

sitkamick

Seaman

I'm running a half system. The other half is seawater for cooling the power steering fluid, engine coolant, and of course the exhaust system.
Sorry, I didn't intend to change this over to a deep discussion over the placement or type of fuel filter. Oh Well.
I was hoping to use the same system that I have now and just move it forward but it doesn't look like that will be possible now.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, I didn't intend to change this over to a deep discussion over the placement or type of fuel filter.
Most of us jump right on that stuff when we see it. not only is it in violation of USCG and most state boating regulations, but it's a HUGE liability for you if you're out boating and the neighbor who thought he was just going for a ride in your boat gets killed when the eng compartment goes "BOOM" and he happens to be near it!

His heirs would find out for sure when their lawyer did all the investigation (including ALL these forum posts!) and found out you intentionally used illegal parts/procedures in "fixing" the boat. Aside from the federal charges, there would be civil liabilities as well..... It's never pretty..........

We just want to warn you!

Cheers,

Rick

sitkamick

Seaman

Actually, my original post was about moving the old style heat exchanger from the back of the engine to the front of the engine. Apparently the pic of the front mount heat exchanger showed a plastic fuel filter which wasn't a good thing, and I guess most folks got sidetracked on the filter. I also thought that the explanation went well concerning the issue.
My post had to do only with the heat exchanger. Just wondered if I could move the old one up front, that's all I was curious about, if anyone had done it or wasn't it a thing to consider.
I believe the safety issue that has been discussed was great, even though it got my issue side tracked for awhile. Hopefully, I will get some more input on my issue.
Thanks

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hopefully, I will get some more input on my issue.

I think Bondo indicated in his reply in post #7 that it is totally possible you just will need to get new hoses that are not pre-formed.

I think it's a good idea but you might also need some custom mounting brackets or depending on your engine compartment, you could mount it almost anywhere that there is room and run the hoses.

Mark

Volphin

Lieutenant

Actually, my original post was about moving the old style heat exchanger from the back of the engine to the front of the engine. Apparently the pic of the front mount heat exchanger showed a plastic fuel filter which wasn't a good thing, and I guess most folks got sidetracked on the filter. I also thought that the explanation went well concerning the issue.
My post had to do only with the heat exchanger. Just wondered if I could move the old one up front, that's all I was curious about, if anyone had done it or wasn't it a thing to consider.
I believe the safety issue that has been discussed was great, even though it got my issue side tracked for awhile. Hopefully, I will get some more input on my issue.
Thanks

Can you post up a pic or two of what you have now? That may help. The kit I'm running is a SeaKamp SK4802. It is a half system like you are running now and comes with all the hoses, brackets, clamps and everything you need. As I recall they are based in WA. Call em up and see if they will sell you a kit minus the exchanger.

Better hurry though. Aren't you running out of daylight now?

sitkamick

Seaman

I tried to insert 2 photos (jpg) but all 3 times failed. I guess that I don't know how to do this. Seems simple enough but all failed. Any clues?