Moven Transom up 1 beam or 2???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guy's, I have a 1970 Riv Crus 27ft an was thinking about moven my transom up a beam or 2, The reason to do this is to have a lil deck on the back of my toon for fishing, I was wondering if it would hurt anything if I did this, I was thinking the only prob would be is turning the toon while on the lake, An going to have a outboard 75hp merc on it, I was going to cut the deck around the motor so it can have plenty of movement, Just a thought here an wondering if anybody tryed this or not, Like to hear what other's think about this idea, Thanks,,

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Moven Transom up 1 beam or 2???

A problem could be you would have to cut crossmembers to move it up which would hurt the transom support, I think the engine woud sag after awhile from lack of support, pictures wouod help alot so we know exactly what you are dealing with.

Is the back of you boat straight now?

Definately think this through pretty well, once you cut something it is cut adn can't be put back.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All the floor joints bolts up on my ol toon an so dose the transom, I will get the pic on here this eveing

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You want to build a deck over the back part of the toons I take it, again cutting crossmembers isn't a good idea, that si what holds the engine and pod up so if you cut them you lose all your strength.

You would also need to figure out what you are going to do with the rails.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I was wanting to try an put a 4ft deck on the back, I will try to changs the floor joint fram today then put in more pic of it, They bolt up an don't have to cut nothing, Seems like I can take off one joint an put it on the back so I will have my suport. An yea, I will do something about the rails. The main thing about doing this is how much of turning would anybody thing I would lose by puting the motor fowards 3ft from where is normanly gose, An thanks 5150

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I would think it would turn the same as long as you keep your lock to lock the same you shouldn't notice a difference.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Did you ever follow another pontoon and see what is going on between the tubes???? I suggest you do so. With the engine out back the turbulent water gets a chance to spread out and go around the motor. Doing what you wnat to do is going to almost close up the space between the tubes. Can you say "flooded engine". And how do you seal the deck to prevent water from gushing up through the hole you cut for the engine to stick through.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the motor will only be moved about 2ft or 3ft up, An I didn't think that there would be any flooding for the motor, As far as water gushing up on the back deck I don't think there would be much to worry about,, But I will be building a cover or just putting a railing around the motor, But not sure about building a cover cause I don't know if it will buid up heat to hurt the motor, An could put couple vent on top or side so fresh air will flow in an out, But like I said, This is just something I was thinking about an didn't know if anybody did something like this,

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you move the transom and motor forward a couple of crossmembers will the boat still go on the trailer? It doesn't look l;ike it from the picture. You probably don't want to start messing with the balance of the load on the trailer a whole lot either.

I think I would just think about shortening the rails up a few feet if you want some decking outside the rails and leave the motor alone. If you create a few feet of open deck between the stern rail and the engine you will get what you need without all the problems involved with moving and trying to rehang the motor. JMHO

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeap, The toon will still go on the trailer with no prob there at all, An I guess the main thing is that my tubes are only 18 inches round an with moven the transom up will keep the wieght off the back end some, An can set up the back for fishing an not going to have high rails on the back, But like I said, This was just something I was thinking about an didn't know if anybody has tryed it before,, I use to have a 32ft toon, An somebody added 6ft tubes to the back end an had a deck over that an was really usefull to keep all the fishing in the back,lol,

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow, russell after looking at your pics its amazeing how differnet are toons are even though they are from the same manufactor, close in years,etc, the back of the toons seem the same, but my front seems to be more torpedo like.. but to answer your question wouldnt you want to move it back, and add another crossmember or beef whats back there up. i noticed you have that white powder stuff on your toon 2 you gonna try to strip that off, or even mess with it.

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey, Mine is just white paint, an it comes off easy, I will be striping the paint off so the toons will shine a lil, No primer on it eaither, When I bought the toon they told me it was 28ft, The title says 27ft lol, But it's only 26 an 1/2 feet long, An if I move it back then there will be to much weight on the back, Thats why I was thinking about moven the motor up some to help it float better, I sure don't want my toon to be over half way under water,, So just trying to keep it more level as I can. An there will be 450 pounds to 550 pounds on the back, Thats just me an my wife an seats an stuff. I have thought about adding about 4 to 6ft to the tubes in the back then that would hold the weight for sure an then I could add cross members to it then have the deck.

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

i see what your wanting to do now, sorry for the confusion russell, 26 1/2 ft long, how long is the deck? my title says 24 ft, but the deck is 24ft 10 inchs and my toons are 26 something feet, (only have a 25 foot tape, didnt feel like getting exact)

Russell48

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My toon tubes are 26 1/2 ft long an the floor itself is 22ft 10 inches long an are 18 inches round, So thats why I feel I should try an move what ever I can up towards the front some, An have a 1984 75hp Merc to go on it,, But I also have a 1965 65hp Merc good an healthy that I was thinking about puting on my toon cause it be a lil lighter then the 75hp, But been thinking about selling the 1965 65hp so it would help give me some cash to get stuff for my toon, It's a nice motor an has 125 p.s.i. in all cyl's,

bethyoung

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guy's, I have a 1970 Riv Crus 27ft an was thinking about moven my transom up a beam or 2, The reason to do this is to have a lil deck on the back of my toon for fishing, I was wondering if it would hurt anything if I did this, I was thinking the only prob would be is turning the toon while on the lake, An going to have a outboard 75hp merc on it, I was going to cut the deck around the motor so it can have plenty of movement, Just a thought here an wondering if anybody tryed this or not, Like to hear what other's think about this idea, Thanks,,
THAT IS WHAT I JUST BOUGHT!!! I cannot find anything online about a 1970 River Crus, mine is 37'. Would love to hear from you!!!!!

Attachments

• Boat 2.jpg
    Boat 2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
THAT IS WHAT I JUST BOUGHT!!! I cannot find anything online about a 1970 River Crus, mine is 37'. Would love to hear from you!!!!!

First - You don't have a pontoon.
Second - This thread is dead for more than 10 years.
Third - It is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.