Move up to Bristol 51.1 with Electrical Issues

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice
I have an opportunity for ½ share of a 1987 Bristol 51.1 with Severe Electrical issues, and High hours on the Diesel. (My friends Divorce Settlement). Barb got the boat, He got the bills. (sorry guys&#8230 ;) Barb and her ex, have owned this boat for the past 10 years, A lovely boat. The appraisal has come in as is at just under $250,000. We have seen simular boats after repairs to go for close to $350,000. The question here is:<br /><br />1) Motor Replacement or Refurbish?<br />2) If Replacement do we consider other then Westerbeke? Example Volvo?<br />3) Is $6000 too much for total Electrical rewire? Almost nothing Elec. Works.<br />4) Quote on Centerboard fix is $3200. seems high<br />5) Is this too big of a jump for two friends, who would like to remain friends?<br /><br /><br />Details:<br /><br />Power: 1 - 100hp 1987 Westerbeke Diesel with 2850 hrs.<br />LOA: 51' 0"<br />Beam: 15'2<br />Displacement: 43500<br />Model Year: 1987<br />Type: Keel/Centerboard<br /><br /><br />Electrical – In great condition:<br />Westerbeke 8 KW generator (new 2000), Heart Interface 3 step inverter/charger (new 2000), 100 amp charging for house bank, 40 amp charging for engine and bowthruster batteries double pole thermal breakers.<br />Robertson autopilot w/remote (new 2000) <br /><br /><br />Electrical – In NON-OPERATIONAL condition:<br />Merriman s/s reel winch for Center Board lift <br />electric windlass <br />Navigation lights <br />Simrad GPS Chart Plotter Radar w/ cockpit display<br />B & G Hecta/Hornet 330 system knot meter/log and depth sounder with repeaters<br />Standard VHF <br />Raytheon hailer <br />Hood electric Sto-way Mast w/double spreader (Although the main sail new 2000),

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Move up to Bristol 51.1 with Electrical Issues

lst

sloopie

Cadet

Miss Lana, I do think that doing your research and asking around such as you are doing here is a good thing. I also strongly think that you and your friend should hire a good yacht surveyor before making any costly decisions. A good one may have several decades of in-depth experience in yachts and know how to uncover potential problems. They can also tell you how much things will cost to fix.<br /><br />Here is one such yacht surveyor web site (not near you) that is a good place to read up and learn about such problems that you may run into: http://www.yachtsurvey.com <br /><br />I will warn you that this surveyor is rather blunt sometimes.<br /><br />If you plan on selling this boat then I would recommend that you scout out the brokers in your area who deal in similar boats. Luckily there are a lot in your area. A broker may be able to help you determine how much you can realistically get from the sale of the boat. Remember that brokers usually charge somewhere in the range of 8 to 12% of the value of the boat.<br /><br />I also want to note that electrical problems need to be handled by someone with experience. I know of a recent 43' sailboat that was a loss because of electrical problems. There were too many devices added to the boat and not enough amps to go around. Anyway, the boat had a very bad fire. Note that wiring a boat is not the same as a house so you can't compare the two. Much more care is required in a marine environment and you have to use marinzed electrical components too.<br /><br />Check and see if the boat had any recalls...both safety and manufacturer recalls. The Coast Guard does track safety recalls but you have to get manufacturer recalls from a dealer.<br /><br />As for engines there are a lot of good ones. Get pricing on rebuilding vs. buying a new one. Yanmar, Volvo, Westerbeke are all good. There are many other great ones too. Keeping service in mind I recommend a major brand. <br /><br />Again, I'd really talk to a surveyor before going any further. Good luck!<br /><br />Sloopie

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Sloopie,<br />This backs up what the North Sails rep told me about a few yacht surveyors. I will schedule an appointment as soon as I feel comfortable with the process. I believe you are right and it makes sense..

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Miss Lana:<br /><br />Sloopie is right on target here. A surveyor is worth his fee, especially on a boat of this size and investment. There are many other areas a surveyor will look at eg. hull blisters, hardware, standing and running rigging, etc. I also recommend trying to contact other Bristol owners of this vintage. One thing I have found about boat manufacturers is that the quality of their construction is often reflected in when the vessel was built... Bottom lines became more important than bottom construction as time passed from the early seventies into the nineties and today. This is something else an experienced surveyor may help you with. When hiring one, ask how much experience s/he has with Bristol's specifically, and how familiar s/he is with your model or comparable ones..<br /><br />Good luck... I know it can be very exciting, but you seem to have your head screwed on straight as you have not let the emotion of the situation take over. Having the discipline to foresee problems rather than getting wrapped up in emotional dreams is a valuable trait for any prospective owner of anything, be it a boat, car, home, whatever.

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Sloopie and Raghauler, I was given the following Surveyors by our Friends at North Sails. Do any of you have an opinion on this? Barb and I will call them on Monday to get the ball moving.<br /><br />Marine Surveys Incorporated<br />342 West McGinnis Circle, <br />Norfolk, VA 23502<br />(804) 466-7759 <br /><br />Maritime Bureau Incorporated<br />7737 Hampton Boulevard, <br />Norfolk, VA 23505<br />(804) 451-0098 <br /><br />Maurice J Laurier<br />7504 Matoaka Avenue, <br />Gloucester Point, VA 23062<br />(804) 642-6084

sloopie

Cadet

Raghauler made some excellent points...especially about the need to have your head on straight when making a purchase. I'm sure to do that better the NEXT time I buy a boat.<br /><br />I can't tell you about any of these surveyors. The marine industry is very much the good ol' boy network though. Just find one of these guys in your area that's been around the industry 30 years and they can tell you just about anything about anybody.<br /><br />Here are some more surveyors on CBBR's (Chesapeake Bay Boaters' Resource) web site that are in your neck of the woods.<br /> http://www.cbbr.com/surveylb.html <br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Sloopie :cool:

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Miss Lana:<br /><br />I know Jack Horner out of Annapolis is always contributing good stories to Chesapeake Bay Magazine, but I'm afraid I can't help you with surveyors in your area. Be sure to let us know how you make out with your experiences.

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Well I got the Report.... <br />Bad news - Needs a new engine and total rewire.<br />Good news - She makes a nice weekend cabin (Docked).<br />If the Stock market goes up, we will be able to complete repairs my March/April... I'll scan the detailed report later... <br />Thanks for your help

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Searfarer...... I left the Hatch Open for you... Were you able to complete the repair on the Centerboard? I will be at the Dock on Wednesday.... Hope you locked her up....<br />see ya.