Mounting bolts

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey everyone. I know this has likely been asked many times before but is there any good reason not to use galvanized bolts to mount the engine on the transom of my boat. I would have used stainless but I was having trouble finding the right size and there were lots of galvanized available so I used them.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm just throwing this thought out there to think about. Won't the zinc coating eventually dissolve, chip or deteriorate and start corroding the exposed metal of the bolts especially if in saltwater?

jbcurt00

Staff member
What boat? Aluminum? Need to replace them w stainless

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the galvanized coating will sacrifice itself and eventually the bolts will dissolve

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm just throwing this thought out there to think about. Won't the zinc coating eventually dissolve, chip or deteriorate and start corroding the exposed metal of the bolts especially if in saltwater?
I think that would take a long time and I'm not sure but I think the zinc on the bolt acts the sameas the zincs on a motor. Sacrificial ions so even if some of the steel is exposed it won't rust, but don't quote me on that! Anyway its probably only for this year, I'll probably use stainless next year.

robert graham

Admiral
In the short term, spray the mounting bolts with white lithium grease to protect from water…then go with stainless…

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Did you use hot dip or zinc plated? Huge difference in exposure protection.

Rust stains and gel coat don’t go well together.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Did you use hot dip or zinc plated? Huge difference in exposure protection.

Rust stains and gel coat don’t go well together.
Honestly, I wouldn't know the difference between the two, so I really don't know!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Honestly, I wouldn't know the difference between the two, so I really don't know!
Are they shiny (silver) or matt finish?

Keep in mind that the “zinc” coating is in the neighborhood of 0.0002” thick. A miss applied wrench or socket would easily compromise the coating

You’re in no danger of using the motor, but it will not take long before you get rust stains