Mounting boat seats to fiberglass floor

Don Macleod

Seaman Apprentice
My new boat seats are coming soon ( Lounge, Jump, and Helm seat) I will be installing them myself. Any advice on drilling screws into fiberglass to bolt down new seats? for example should I be pre - drilling holes? Also if there are any holes in the fiberglass from the existing seats when I take them out should I simply silicone the old screw holes?
1991 Blue Water Cuddy 19'

Thanks Don

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mounting boat seats to fiberglass floor

I did exactly the same thing some years back to a 19'er. First do not use silicone to plug holes or anything else. The only place for silicone on a boat is to seal windows.Fill the holes with 3m 5200.

As to the mounting of the new seats - On mine I did not want to drill any holes in the deck. When the new seats came I positined them where I wanted them to go. I then marked the floor from the inside of the seat boxes. I then cut a block of wood (2"x4" or equivalent) for each corner of the boxes. I allowed for a little bit of space between the blocks and the boxes and fiberglassed the blocks to the floor. When the glass is cured set the seats over the b;ocks. You could screw the boxes to the blocks if you wish. I did not as the seats were secure as is and I could remove the seats at any time. And - - Wa- - La - - no holes in the deck.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like that Idea, from Solittle!!! No real input from me, just be careful where you drill. Wheres your fuel tank? What is under that deck??

Don Macleod

Seaman Apprentice

Thats a really great idea and Im going to try that....Thanks for the great advice :)

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I then cut a block of wood (2"x4" or equivalent) for each corner of the boxes. I allowed for a little bit of space between the blocks and the boxes and fiberglassed the blocks to the floor. When the glass is cured set the seats over the b;ocks.

+1 on the blocks, but I would screw the seats into the blocks