Mounting a swim platform ladder

bucksy99

Cadet
I am trying to mount a new ladder on the swim platform. The old ladder must have come lose and the bolts ripped out of the platform. The previous owner just caulked the holes. What is a good way to mount the new ladder in the same location? I was thinking toggle bolts but dont have much experience yet.
thanks for suggestions.

Attachments

• photo322946.jpg
    photo322946.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo322947.jpg
    photo322947.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Fill in the holes and place a piece a 3/4 plywood under the swim deck. This will give the platform more strength and keep the screws from ripping back out.

This is one which is similar to what was installed. If folds up and lies flat on the deck. They make several different models and ones without plastic steps will be thinner and will lie more flat

https://www.iboats.com/shop/windline...ng-ladder.html

This type has more strength and has a slide out before it drops down. Can also get this type that just flips down like the one above

https://www.iboats.com/shop/garelick...platforms.html

bucksy99

Cadet
Thanks for the input. The problem is that I cannot place anything under the platform and through bolt it as it slopes away below. It might be hard to the in the pics. There is another one attached. I probably need to use toggle bolts but am am concerned that they will ripp out too.

Attachments

• photo322957.jpg
    photo322957.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
from INSIDE the boat, you need to reach back to where the swim platform meets the lower transom and place the wood or aluminum backer in there and bed in with epoxy or 5200

and yes, toggle bolts would rip out as well

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I installed a ladder like that on the back of my boat, which looks fairly similar to yours. I was going to link to the pages on my restoration topic to show you how I did it, but apparently my restoration thread has disappeared. I’m hoping it returns...

bucksy99

Cadet
from INSIDE the boat, you need to reach back to where the swim platform meets the lower transom and place the wood or aluminum backer in there and bed in with epoxy or 5200

and yes, toggle bolts would rip out as well

I am pretty sure that I cant get to it from the inside. I bought it late in the season and now have it covered up. I will check again when I get back from vacation.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you can get to the bilge, you can get to it from the inside.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I mounted a ladder in a similar spot; it did require working from inside the boat, but it was not very difficult. You can read/see what I did in posts #155-160, 164-169 & 178, in my restoration thread (link is in my signature below). Hope it helps!

bucksy99

Cadet
thanks everybody.
I just got back from vacation and it is dark already. However on the inside the transom is a vertical board. I cannot get to the platform that sticks out about 2 feet from there without cutting an access hole. Also it appears that the whole void behind the transom is filled with polyurethane. Not sure if it is worth getting into this right now while I am working on other projects.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On mine, the void back there had been filled with foam, too, but the foam was removed due to my transom work. If the foam is all that's in your way, I'd remove it and and either leave it, or re-foam it after you do your ladder work. Re-foaming it would not be hard. Otherwise, I can't see how you'll be able to attach your ladder. It looks like a full thru-bolt would not work, and I think toggles would not be strong enough either.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thanks everybody.
I just got back from vacation and it is dark already. However on the inside the transom is a vertical board. I cannot get to the platform that sticks out about 2 feet from there without cutting an access hole. Also it appears that the whole void behind the transom is filled with polyurethane. Not sure if it is worth getting into this right now while I am working on other projects.

a cup brush on a drill extension and a shop vac and you can chew up all the foam in about 3 minutes

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Easy Peasy...

- Fill the existing holes with 5200 and then drill them back out at the correct size.
- Cut a 5" diameter hole on top of the swim platform, centered between the holes, and install a waterproof access hatch.
- Bolt the ladder thru the existing holes, using aluminum plates or very large fender washes under the nuts.

When you open it up you'll likely see what fasteners were there in the first place. Just chip away enough foam to enable attaching the nuts.

I installed an outboard motor bracket on a transom that had no access. The 5" port was large enough to get my hand in, plus I now have unlimited access for the future.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/other-access-hatch-5in-i-d.html

P6090016web2.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks everybody I appreciate it.
What type of foam is it typically?

Thanks again.

2-part polyurethane expanding foam. usually 2# density, however may be 4# density.