mounting a bilge pump?

CaptainSkip

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mounting a bilge pump?

Adding a second back up bilge, I mounted an automatic switch and pump on a piece of aluminum strap, 2" wide and attached it to a piece of angle aluminum these are available at the hardware store in small lenghts. I assembled everything in the shop then I attached it to a stringer in the bilge w 2 stainless screws. So it's easy to install and remove all in one piece...

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1

rwidman

Lieutenant

Im going to add a non-return valve to my pump.
This way, when the pump stops, the water in the pipe doesnt go back in the boat.

Someone else warned against this and I agree. You usually end up with debris in your bilge and the pump will try to pump it out with the water. The debris can clog the check valve. If it gets stuck open, it's not doing anything except partially restricting the flow. If it gets stuck closed, the pump can't pump the water out and will remain on and eventually burn up.

380voltz

Seaman

hmmm ... good points against a non-return valve. thx

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

found that my bilge is powered thru the ignition switch and a three way toggle switch, this seems wrong to me, if i shut off power to the boat, no protection, if i take the key no protection, so, what happens overnight when the boat is unattended. it sinks.

CaptainSkip

Seaman Apprentice

Wire the float switch directly to the battery with a fuse then you'll be set when you shut the keys off.

rwidman

Lieutenant

found that my bilge is powered thru the ignition switch and a three way toggle switch, this seems wrong to me, if i shut off power to the boat, no protection, if i take the key no protection, so, what happens overnight when the boat is unattended. it sinks.

How did this come to be? From the factory? Previous owner? You installed it?

It's a bad setup. Fix it ASAP.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I expect that is was factory, the dash is deep stenciled this way,
:confused: I would never of notice a problem except that I went on vacation and put the boat in a slip for the first time ever, learned a lot that vacation... disaster. pump failure, took on 8inches of water every 12 hours, learned how to tie up in a half slip, or short dock to a pilling. engine got wet, but didn't crap out until a mile out in the bay, needed tow back in, and the wife broke her foot. she don't like boating much this week. :mad:

MCL

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used a marine grade silicone to glue it to the bottom of the bilge,sits there like a rock.A couple of blows with a hammer should tear the silicone if I need to replace it.

Originally the bilge had a wooden plate glassed to the bottom of the bilge,needles to say it was rotten to hell.Took me 2 days to fix that area up.You people are crazy drilling holes in the bilge.