Mounting a battery on a fiberglass boat?

Lyrikz

Cadet
I searched, i really did. over 500 posts on 2nd batteries. I know how to wire them and everything, but is it safe to just screw the new battery box right into the fiberglass hull??

the boat is a 05 Glastron 195sx. I was thinking of getting 6 1/4" thick screws and fender washers and screwing it inot the fiberglass hull. But that scares me..

Any tips/thoughts?

Del

Re: Mounting a battery on a fiberglass boat?

Are you sure you're going into the hull? My batteries are secured to the floor - they need to be reasonably level.

emoney

Commander

I'm sure you're thinking about screwing them into the deck, which is supported above the actual hull by the stringers. And yes, it's ok to attach there. Make sure you use a waterproof sealant in any event to prevent as much future water intrusion as possible. Although, I prefer to attach the "strap locks" with water proof Gorilla glue and not use any screws. The strap, once secure, will hold the box in place and there's no worry about rot down the road.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't take a chance. Get a battery box and get some coarse steel wool and a couple of tubes of fresh silicon adhesive....auto parts has them. Rough up both surfaces and use a whole tube of silicon adhesive to glue down the battery box and don't forget to have the tie down strap under the box when you set it. Done deal.

Mark

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

water proof Gorilla glue

One thing I learned as a woodworker, is that Gorilla Glue is an inferior product backed by lots of misleading marketing. Don't go there.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Silicone adhesive will hold a battery box, with a 40# chunk of lead bouncing around? That might work on a larger or slower boat, but I would think that mechanical fasteners are necessary on most boats. I have a web strap screwed down holding the battery box on my speedboat, and I still need to reset the battery box every once in a while as it tries to escape from it's holder.

haulnazz15

Captain

Every battery box I have installed (the kind you buy at wally world or basspro) comes with a webbing-style strap, and a couple of plastic fittings that are screwed to the floor/deck. The screws aren't generally long enough to go through the hull unless you are trying to screw directly into the hull (bad idea). I've never had the battery box come loose or move anywhere once strapped in.

Lyrikz

Cadet

I appreciate all the advice.

What i did was this.. I pulled one of the screws out of the OTHER battery box to see how long it was.. THen i just matched the screws for my battery box. Im new to boats so my definition of the floor was the hull and vice versa. I assumed it was one piece.

Here is a pic of the install i did.

202644_498171846877883_387709266_o.jpg

All finished

240256_498171933544541_35564907_o.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

One thing I learned as a woodworker, is that Gorilla Glue is an inferior product backed by lots of misleading marketing. Don't go there.
I completely disagree! My gorilla has never come unglued while using that product.:p

i know this is a little late but always predrill a small hole before you put the screws in so they dont crack the glass as they go in.