Mount transducer on right side?

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer
I read somewhere that the transducer for a fishfinder should be mounted on the right side of the transom. Is there any reason for this? I have a 14' aluminum,with the helm on the right.[loking at it from rear of boat.]

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mount transducer on right side?

the turbulance from the prop determines which side you mount your transducer on.

if your prop turns clockwise you put it on the right--counterclockwise (counter rotaion) on the left...........if memory serves me right---its been a while since i got to set one up.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i think you also need to have it like 15" away from the prop for best results.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mounting it on the starboard side makes it easier to run the cable to the unit on the starboard side console.

Mounting it on the right side means the correct side. If you had your unit mounted on the port side then the port side of the transom would be the right (correct) side.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mounting it on the starboard side makes it easier to run the cable to the unit on the starboard side console.

Mounting it on the right side means the correct side. If you had your unit mounted on the port side then the port side of the transom would be the right (correct) side.

I have seen a lot of rights and lefts pointed out on this site, and was wondering when someone would make your point.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Ay Ay captain! [Big salute]:D I'm just an old car man,and we only know right and left!! Ok-Starboard side!!! Thanks guys,I'll check the prop rotation. Cold and rainy outside tonight,or I'd look right now.

D

DJ

No need to go out and freeze, your prop. turns clockwise.

Unless, you have a VOLVO I/O which I doubt on a 14' boat.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry, sometimes i forget to use the lingo:redface:.

less turbulance on the starboard side with a clockwise rotation :cool:

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Alrighty then! I get to drill 2 more holes in my transom! I was pretty sure they all turn clockwise[this is a Johnson 35 outboard] Isn't there a nautical term for "clockwise" ????

tashasdaddy

actually, i think it is clockwise. seal your old hole with 3m4200 or 3m5200. JB weld will also work on aluminum.

a70eliminator

Captain

I learn something everyday, I just mounted mine port cause the pitot on starboard side was in the way, I didn't even consider engine rotation, and don't recall the manual mentioning it either.

JB

As long as you mount the Xducer far enough from the prop turbulence, keeping the signal cable from crossing the deck (not floor) or transom area (splash well) to get to the unit is the primary consideration.

On center console boats with a cable/wiring tunnel I have mounted Xducers port or starboard with no noticable difference in performance.

Reactions: p12